Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Been listening all night. Don't want to stop.
@ogs 

"Both AES/EBU and Dante would most likely sound better than your current Toslink arrangement."

My original post wasn't at all technical in nature... I was simply sharing my enjoyment of a night's listening session. But, I'll address your technical comment, though perhaps tech discussion should be in a different thread.

Your quote sounds like speculation or assumption, and ergo perhaps means nothing... unless you have a basis for this comment and wish to back it up? Is it because of assumed higher quality clock? I'd honestly like to know. I'm not versed in Dante and not very versed in the science of AES-EBU.

What I do know, is that USB operates at 32bit on the SHD Studio, which is how I am feeding signal to the SHD Studio. AES-EBU, on the other hand is typically 20 to 24bit max.  The Reactors receive a digital signal via Coax SPDIF / TOSLINK, accepting up to 24bit/96kHz via its TOSLINK input. This digital signal reaches the internal Reactor DACS which take care of any jitter etc. 

Bit and sampling rates only mean so much anyway (jitter aside). The mastering quality of music is what is truly important.

I've no interest in Roon.
2 Channel Power / Signal Path: APC H15 → Mistral Audio W-3900 → Custom Roon Server → Silent Angel Bonn N8 → Silent Angel Forester F1 → miniDSP SHD Studio → Mutec MC-3+ USB → Devialet Phantom I 108dB

Headphone iFi Audio iDSD Signature → Grado GS1000i

Messages In This Thread
RE: Been listening all night. Don't want to stop. - by supaDean - 10-Mar-2020, 22:24