Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CD Player vs CD Transport Advice Sought
I second what @Jean-Marie has said.

I can't see a point to using the analog outputs of a CD player and having the Devialet convert that back to digital and then back to analog again. It's simply best to eliminate the digital to analog conversion in the player and the subsequent analog to digital conversion in the Devialet and just to feed a digital signal from the CD player if it has digital outputs, or from a transport, straight to the Devialet. When it comes to a player with digital outputs vs a transport, I'd opt for a transport at the same price as the player because with the transport you aren't paying for a digital to analog converter and analog output stage that you aren't going to use. Hopefully for the same price you can get a better quality transport than a player or you might be able to save money and get an equivalent quality digital output from a transport for less than the price of whatever CD player you're looking at.

I don't know what Canadian prices are like but BlueSound which I think is a Canadian company make the Vault 2I, a server/NAS drive with a CD drive for ripping and a 2 TB hard drive with similar digital outs to a CD Player/transport and control via an Android or iOS app. It can also connect with most streaming services and it also has Bluetooth connectivity and hopefully Bluetooth will be included when we get our next firmware update from Devialet because they listed Bluetooth as an outstanding item in the release notes for our last update in February last year. That could offer you an alternative way into streaming than @Jean-Marie's suggestion of ripping to your computer and using the computer as a source.
Roon Nucleus+, Devilalet Expert 140 Pro CI, Focal Sopra 2, PS Audio P12, Keces P8 LPS, Uptone Audio EtherREGEN with optical fibre link to my router, Shunyata Alpha NR and Sigma NR power cables, Shunyata Sigma ethernet cables, Shunyata Alpha V2 speaker cables, Grand Prix Audio Monaco rack, RealTRAPS acoustic treatment.

Brisbane, Qld, Australia

Messages In This Thread
RE: CD Player vs CD Transport Advice Sought - by David A - 15-Apr-2020, 08:23