Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Crackling in higher bit rate streams
@thumb5

Now that's a little odd.

What I was thinking of was what your screen dump shows for "Other Network Devices". Roon streams the Devialet Expert by Roon's implementation of Devialet AIR in that option. It definitely doesn't use the Devialet AIR app to do that. I know that because I used to stream from my Mac to my 130, pre-CI board upgrade, using that option after I deleted the Devialet AIR app from my Mac.

What intrigues me is the "Devialet AIR" option in the "This Mac" section. I think I know what's going on.

Note that "Devialet AIR" is the top line, in bold, in the "This Mac" section and below that it says "CoreAudio". The fact that "Devialet AIR" is the top line, in bold, tells us that "Devialet AIR" is the name of the zone you can stream to, and the "CoreAudio" in the lower line tells us that Roon will send the stream to that zone using the Mac's core audio functionality. If you look at the item in "Other Network Devices", the name of the zone is "Devialet Expert" and the second line tells us that Roon will stream to that zone, to the Devialet, using its own implementation of Devialet AIR.

So, the question is why is Roon using "Devialet AIR" as the name of a zone in the available zones available under "This Mac". I have no idea unless you named a streaming destination that way at some time in the past. If you were using Roon prior to Roon including Devialet AIR as a streaming option, did you find a way of telling Roon to use Devialet's app to stream to your Devialet and name that zone option "Devialet AIR" and, if you did, do you also still have the Devialet app on your Mac? That's about the only thing I can think of.

One thing is certain. That second line in the details of each zone tells you how Roon is going to stream to the zone. Look at the details for "Built-in Output"—it says "CoreAudio" just as it does for the "Devialet AIR" zone. Roon streams to both of those zones using CoreAudio, it is not using Devialet's AIR protocol for its output in either case and the words "Devialet AIR" in the zone name position definitely do not mean that Roon is using the AIR protocol to stream to that zone, it specifically says that it is streaming to that zone using CoreAudio.
Roon Nucleus+, Devilalet Expert 140 Pro CI, Focal Sopra 2, PS Audio P12, Keces P8 LPS, Uptone Audio EtherREGEN with optical fibre link to my router, Shunyata Alpha NR and Sigma NR power cables, Shunyata Sigma ethernet cables, Shunyata Alpha V2 speaker cables, Grand Prix Audio Monaco rack, RealTRAPS acoustic treatment.

Brisbane, Qld, Australia

Messages In This Thread
RE: Crackling in higher bit rate streams - by David A - 30-Apr-2020, 23:06