Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Complementary Roon subscriptions with purchase of Expert Pros
@mdconnelly - no worries. I agree about the Roon subscriptions. The gigabit ethernet problem is a running sore for many of us, hard to ignore and hard to keep out of any discussion which includes the words "Devialet" and "Roon" in the same sentence. It's a problem that in a perverse way links the best and the worst of Devialet. It's a feature they hadn't promised and didn't have to provide because of that yet they got a lot of requests from owners and did promise and deliver it which certainly counts as showing their best side rather well. Unfortunately they had a bug in the software, a bug which Roon missed as well some do need to cut Devialet a little slack there, but their response to the discovery of the bug has demonstrated the worst side of Devialet rather well.

In my view, if you can successfully work around the bug, and a 100T connection to my 140 has done that for me, the combination of Devialet and Roon over a Roon Ready connection is wonderful. They really need to fix that bug and fix it very soon given the length of time people have been living with it.

I don't object to anyone complaining about the ethernet issue, it needs to be complained about. I just think we should be a lot more honest than Devialet has been about it when we complain. The amps are Roon Ready but with a serious flaw. Damn the flaw as much as you like, if it takes a squeaky wheel to get some oil then let's all be squeaky wheels about the bug but we should acknowldege that the amps are Roon Ready and be grateful for that.

And actually it does seem as if the bug isn't in the Roon Ready code, it's in the way the amp handles the incoming data in the queue. It's a problem that could probably affect other ethernet data flows if they use enough bandwidth, unfortunately it seems that a Roon Ready connection is the only data flow currently available that triggers the bug.
Roon Nucleus+, Devilalet Expert 140 Pro CI, Focal Sopra 2, PS Audio P12, Keces P8 LPS, Uptone Audio EtherREGEN with optical fibre link to my router, Shunyata Alpha NR and Sigma NR power cables, Shunyata Sigma ethernet cables, Shunyata Alpha V2 speaker cables, Grand Prix Audio Monaco rack, RealTRAPS acoustic treatment.

Brisbane, Qld, Australia

Messages In This Thread
RE: Complementary Roon subscriptions with purchase of Expert Pros - by David A - 20-May-2020, 22:19