Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Classic Phantom pair - No low-mids, shoebox sound
(26-May-2020, 07:03)massi.rav Wrote:
(20-May-2020, 13:24)EmmanuelG Wrote: Hello all,

I can describe the sound as muffled....

Once again I am very surprised with that tiny, poor sound quality. My listenings in store + reviews I have read are far for describing this result.

That’s a very strange situation.

I know it is obvious and probably it cannot be done, but as you say you performed listenings in the store, and if this still comfy for you, I would drive with your Premiers to the store again and ask for a comparison listening btw your models and the ones in the shop. This could be the very last test to see if you have been provided with faulty hardware.

You are right. Unfortunately because of the pandemic stores are closed now.
When I listened to them before buying in the store(s), I did not notice that "empty" sound.

As an anecdote. The last time I went to a store, I wanted to listen extensively to the Reactors and compare them to the Premiers. In their separate auditorium, when one speaker only was playing (mono) the sound where pleasing. But when with 2 speakers in stereo, the bass totally disappeared, which the vendor pretended not to hear/agree Huh  The same happened to both Reactors and Premier, and my immediate assumption was not even a phase issue but the room causing this with inadequate shape / materials. The vendor switched quickly to the big guns with the Golds but still no bass. The Phantoms in the public store open entrance sounded largely better. That makes me quite reluctant to spend time and energy to bring my Phantom(s) to the store, but sure my ears would tell the results.

Back to my situation, I guess Devialet has the tools to quickly review internal preamp / DSP settings. Ideal solution would them to come to my place and listen / give advice / correct if they can. Not sure they have this process.

EDIT: Phantoms really go low to 16 Hz. Very nice feeling ! Heart

Messages In This Thread
RE: Classic Phantom pair - No low-mids, shoebox sound - by EmmanuelG - 26-May-2020, 10:31