Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Next step streaming
(07-Jun-2020, 10:46)thumb5 Wrote: Interesting question.  My first thought is to ask what it is you prefer about the sound of the LP12 compared to streaming? 

From a technical point of view it's likely that the sound from the LP12 is less accurate than the digital streaming set-up, and perhaps you prefer the less accurate sound because of the inaccuracies.  In any case, the difference between streamers would probably be much smaller than the difference between the LP12 and any of the digital sources, so you might end up not achieving your goal by changing the digital side of things.

As to the upgrade from a 200 to a 220, that's (of course) going to affect what you hear from both the digital and analogue sources.  You've probably already looked at the other threads on the forum that discuss the sound quality changes people have experienced when making this upgrade.  There was a school of thought when the Pro models were introduced that they had a slightly more revealing treble which could be less forgiving of any shortcomings elsewhere in the system.  That sounds initially like a disadvantage but it might just reflect the improved performance of the amplifier, which gives you the potential to achieve better sound quality.

Adding an external streamer to change the sound quality compared to Roon from the NUC is going to be a gamble if you can't listen to the combination, and as I mentioned above I suspect might not give you a sound that's close to the LP12 you prefer.  On the other hand, if there are other things about the Roon/NUC combination that you aren't happy with -- such as form factor, looks, usability, etc. -- then maybe replacing it with a different streamer would give you more pleasure when you use your system.

For what it's worth, my advice would be that unless you can try out a new streamer in your system, option three might be the best approach.  Just my 2p-worth, of course.

Thanks for your response! The LP12 has a wider and deeper soundstage, way more air between instruments and a more “live feeling”. These are exactly the things i’m looking for to het more in my streaming setup.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk
Devialet 220 Pro / Wilson Benesch Vertex / Linn LP12 / Crystal Cable Crystalspeak Piccolo Diamond / Audioquest Vodka Ethernet / Roon / The Netherlands

Messages In This Thread
Next step streaming - by KraaijCheck - 07-Jun-2020, 10:20
RE: Next step streaming - by thumb5 - 07-Jun-2020, 10:46
Next step streaming - by KraaijCheck - 07-Jun-2020, 11:10
RE: Next step streaming - by Confused - 07-Jun-2020, 11:51
RE: Next step streaming - by mdconnelly - 07-Jun-2020, 12:47
Next step streaming - by KraaijCheck - 07-Jun-2020, 15:33
Next step streaming - by KraaijCheck - 07-Jun-2020, 15:38