Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
EtherRegen saved my Devialet experience
(13-Jul-2020, 14:50)pvanosta Wrote: Couple of questions (as I have the recurring 'dropout over RAAT via gigabit ethernet' bug):
- do you use Roon RAAT (the Roon Ready input vie ethernet on the Devialet)?
- did you ever have any dropouts? Or just poor/harsh sound?

I am currently playing Roon RAAT via wifi but would prefer to use a stable ethernet conenction. I have tried hanging a 10/100 switch off my gigabit switch and connecting the Dev to a 100 mb port but I still get the occasional dropout, so then I switch back to wifi.

Does anyone have any opinion or experience on whether the Uptone EtherRegen mitigates the gigabit ethernet bug on Roon RAAT?

hi there,

For what it’s worth I use a Melco S100 btwn my mac mini and the Devialet 1000 and am yet to experience a single drop out when using Raat even with 192/24. On the other hand I experience pretty frequent short drop outs if I switch to Roon Air, which is a pity since Air does clearly sound better to my ears.

The Melco also has 100 Mbit ports and the D is connected to one of these. I do believe that the Melco did result in a sound improvement when it replaced my basic unmanaged Netgear 8 port switch. But the theory says there is no way a switch or ethernet cable can make a difference, so it may just be my imagination.

I am currently not using an LPU for the Melco that may be the next step.

One feature the ER has over the Melco is its external clock input... which may or may not help. It’s an extremely dangerous feature though since it opens the door to an additional clock generator and the best one (Cybershaft) costs around 7,000 US$... Smile One way to “mitigate” this would be to also add a Mutec USB -> AES/EBU reclocker using the same external clock... so as to be able to compare the non effect of super accurate clocks on asynchronous protocoles. Wink Aren’t we having fun?

Cheers,
Bernard
Room: Gik Acoustics | Vibration: Townshend pods | Power: Shunyata Omega XC + Everest + Sigma NR v2 + Sigma ground cables | Source: Mojo Audio DejaVu EVO linux server running Roon core (Raat) | Ethernet: Sonore Optical module + Melco S10P with dedicated LPS + Shunyata Omega Ethernet x 2| Synchronous: Mutec MC-3 + USB (Paul Hynes SR7T LPS) + Cybershaft OP21A (Shunyata Omega USB, AES/EBU, clock cables) | Dac/Pre/Amplification: Devialet D1000 Pro CI (Chord Sarum T RCA-RCA link) | Speakers: Chord Sarum T cables + Wilson Benesch Act One Evolution P1

Messages In This Thread
RE: EtherRegen saved my Devialet experience - by bernardl - 13-Jul-2020, 23:31