Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Digital to Digital Converters with Devialet - New products
The Audio GD DI20HE is being discussed on AS, and someone linked to this thread on Head-Fi:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/audio-gd-di-20.918123/

There is a lot to read in this thread!  Last week I slogged thought it, much off topic nonsense there as you often get in long threads like this, but there are some gems of information there too.

First to say that the thread contains many listening reports.  These are mostly very positive.  Not only that, but when I read these listening reports they were describing exactly what I would want if I was "fine tuning" my system a touch.  So this was definitely a big positive for me. 

Then come concerns, I can now understand exactly what @hardcore was referring to when he mentions reliability issues and possible issues with firmware updates.  There were a couple of people posting about issues and needing to return seemly faulty units, so this does give some concerns re build quality and long term reliability.

I then started looking elsewhere.  Not much information to be found as it happens, but I did end up reading about some other GD Audio products on ASR.  OK, I know ASR is not the most popular forum around here, for a number of reasons.  But measurements are measurements, and assuming they are performed competently you can interpret these how you wish.  In the case of some other Audio GD products, the measurements were just about the worst I have ever looked at.  So overall, reading the subjective stuff about the Audio GD I was pretty much ready to purchase, but when investigating further I decided that my current Mutec is just fine for now.  I shall still be keeping an eye out for information on the Audio GD, it is an interesting product, but have enough concerns not to take a punt and buy one. 

This is not the end of this little story though.  The Audio GD interested me because it could both do DSD64 via AES/EBU (which the Mutec MC3+USB cannot) and has a 10MHz input for use with my REF10.  Reading through the epic Head-Fi thread I found two other products that can do the same thing.

One is the Singxer SU-2, the other is the Gustard U16. Neither of these products are top of their respective ranges, as a quirk of how these things are designed, it seems that the models with the best clocks are also equipped with clock outputs for use with other devices.  It is then the lesser models with lesser clocks, that have the 10MHz input, for use with a better clock.

I then did a bit of research and reading up on the respective Singxer and Gustard models, and decided that between these two the Gustard would be the one to go for.  Remarkably, the Gustard is available for just £239.99 including delivery.  This is cheap enough just to take a punt on, and I guess if bought from Amazon it would be easy enough to return if there was an issue.  I'm very tempted!  So here is a question, has anyone tried any of the Gustard range with a Devialet?

It is also fun to think that the two products that I would be most interested in hearing with the Pro at the moment are the Gustard U16 (with REF10) and the Vivaldi Upsampler, retail prices £239.99 and £17,999.00 respectively.  (or £29998.00 if you include the Vivaldi master clock)  Shy
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12

Messages In This Thread
RE: Digital to Digital Converters with Devialet - New products - by Confused - 02-Aug-2020, 13:01