Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BiWire Jumpers on biwireable speakers.
(02-Aug-2020, 02:17)David A Wrote:
(01-Aug-2020, 23:58)Pim Wrote: I've let my reply go for a few days to try and come up with a way to explain how it is impossible to cause any difference, let alone improvement.

Just like Corona virus deniers, you're a tough bunch but I'll have a goBlush.  Let's do an experiment.

Take some reasonably good quality 75 Ohm coax cable. Get one of those cheap angled plastic capped coax connectors and connect your TV antenna and another coax cable about 1.5m long to it. Both cores under the centre screw and the screens under the clamp. You could try this with RG6, which is great quality, but they're pretty thick so a lesser but reasonable quality cable will do. Now put another connector on the end of the 1.5m cable.…

Interesting thought experiment but all the talk about the difference in signal strength is mistaken. Here in Australia we have digital TV broadcasting. The signal is digital all the way to the TV regardless of which connection you use and the difference in digital signal strength will be irrelevant.

With the speaker cable issue under discussion we're talking about cables carrying an analog signal.

If you want to come up with an experiment designed as a comparison it really needs to be an experiment involving an analog signal, not one involving a digital signal.

The rule of thumb with all comparison tests is to change only one variable. This experiement changes the bandwidth of the signal and also the nature of the signal. That's 2 variables and if there is a difference we have no way of telling which variable is responsible for the difference. That's why we need a comparison that only changes one variable.

I actually installed antennas in the 'good old days' of analog David. I also used to do exactly what I wrote in the experiment but with more length on the 'loop' cable, usually for a bedroom TV. The second cable would have to be about 15 to 20m long before any issues were seen with reasonably good reception. Only if the signal was a bit so-so, just connecting up two cables would be an issue and an amplifier would be needed. If you think about how short a speaker cable is, how short the loop is, how strong the 'signal' and how low the frequency of audio compared to TV, I think this shows pretty clearly that in audio this sort of thing is negligible.
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.

Messages In This Thread
RE: BiWire Jumpers on biwireable speakers. - by Pim - 02-Aug-2020, 04:52