Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Streaming or Local music storage?
(21-Aug-2020, 21:36)yanc Wrote: Just wanted people's opinion on this subject.

I have owned 10k+ LPs (first) and CDs (next). 
I have about 5k ripped discs and downloads on my local hard-disc based system, and keep listening (and buying new music - mostly from bandcamp) which ends up on my local store. 

i.e.
No need for streaming or sharing (my music is not the best for dinner parties, though I have some of that too )
No need for Spotify, Deezer, etc (what I call music by the kilo)
No need for elaborate LAN and flimsy UPNP clients, transmitting tons of music over air etc.

am I the odd one out? (at least amongst people the care about fidelity)?

Streaming is the playing of music or video stored on a computer or server over a network connection so technically playing music from a local hard drive and playing music from a service such as Tidal, Spotify, Deezer, etc are both streaming. The only differences are the location of the server and whether you access it from a drive on your own local network or  over the internet from a drive on someone else's network, and how you acquire access to the music, whether that be by ripping a disc to your drive or paying for a download of the files vs paying a fee for access to a streaming service. If the resolution of the music you stream is the same, then the fidelity of the music should also be the same. If you care about fidelity and you're using a streaming service then you'll be streaming music at CD quality, 44.1 kHz sampling rate and 16 bits or better, rather than mp3 or some other lossy file format. Streaming music from a streaming service does not have to compromise fidelity and it doesn't require an "elaborate LAN" or "flimsy" clients. there are a number of robust and reliable client applications which you can choose from.

Most of what I stream is music stored from my own hard drive but I also have a Tidal subscription. I only use Tidal to audition music I haven't heard before and, if I like it, I try to buy a download of the files or the CD which I then rip to my drive, or for playing music which I cannot buy in one form or another in at least CD quality. Probably 90% or more of what I play is streamed from my own hard drive.
Roon Nucleus+, Devilalet Expert 140 Pro CI, Focal Sopra 2, PS Audio P12, Keces P8 LPS, Uptone Audio EtherREGEN with optical fibre link to my router, Shunyata Alpha NR and Sigma NR power cables, Shunyata Sigma ethernet cables, Shunyata Alpha V2 speaker cables, Grand Prix Audio Monaco rack, RealTRAPS acoustic treatment.

Brisbane, Qld, Australia

Messages In This Thread
Streaming or Local music storage? - by yanc - 21-Aug-2020, 21:36
RE: Streaming or Local music storage? - by David A - 24-Aug-2020, 07:50