Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Phantom Gold doesn't support 192/24, surprising answer from support??
(04-Sep-2020, 07:41)rsemedo Wrote:
(03-Sep-2020, 19:10)kantblue Wrote: Hi there

Something seems a bit strange here - I'm surprised that the tracks even start to play if its not supported - do they sound OK when it starts to play - does it just stop suddenly, or fade or distort.

I don't output this rate through optical but I can confirm that upnp supports this rate.

Other posts here imply that they can do this through optical so either your Golds are faulty or something is different in the format you are playing - you don't say as far as I can see what type of files you are playing at this resolution - anything unusual or with some wrapper around them?

kantblue
I'm using FLAC files with Roon like the user above...my Roon End Point is the Primare NP5, but I used others with the same result... :-(

I‘m using Roon to two Raspberry Pi endpoints that are optical cable connected to two sets of Phantoms, I.e. two rooms in Spark. I did still not update to DOS2 as the Gold Phantoms and the third Silver Phantom work well for simultaneously play 24/192k in two rooms. The RPis are even WiFi connected in the network to a Roon Rock NUC that is wired connected to the router. All Phantoms use the internal PLC. All as promised by Devialet in terms of Specs. I think most people have rather network problems than anything else when using Phantoms. Exception is only the optical input from the Dialog that many years ago Devialet downgraded from 24/192k to 24/96k due to probably hw problems. But we need to acknowledge that the optical SPDIF originally was specified for 24/96k and only very careful design allows also a higher sampling frequency reproduction. Whether DOS2 is inferior to DOS1 I cannot say, but the Phantom hardware has no problems playing 24/192k. I‘m mostly using ALAC instead of FLAG as in the beginning Spark was much more performant with Apples FLAG version. But since Roon I do not use Spark anymore and for Roon any of the hires formats perform equally well in my experience.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Phantom Gold doesn't support 192/24, surprising answer from support?? - by streamy - 04-Sep-2020, 16:58