Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Phantom Gold doesn't support 192/24, surprising answer from support??
(12-Dec-2020, 23:42)ogs Wrote: If new Phantoms now only does 24/96 on the Toslink optical, Devialet has definitely changed (downgraded) the receiver part they use for this input. Quite a few Phantom owners here on Devialet Chat use 24/192 optical into their speakers so Phantoms did support up to 24/192. I really do not understand the background for this change. Roon RAAT is somewhere in the Phantom future and that will support 24/192 (I guess), but that future is maybe two years away or even worse... In the mean time Devialet should fix it's UPnP implementation to work properly with the LMS-to-uPnP plugin by philippe44 to give us a decent workaround.

The only hope to get consistent 24/192 res is Roon RAAT support or Tidal Connect... basically streaming(Wireless or Ethernet) and leverage the internal dac on the Phantom's....hopefully not too distant future for one of those standards to be supported...

After a lot of testing and research, the Toslink issue it's not a downgrade from Devialet(or other brands), its a quality assurance issue...24/192 over Toslink is pushing the boundaries of the connector, the vendor needs to be very careful when sourcing the hardware, testing, etc to achieve that res in a consistent way...the Toslink cable also needs to be "perfect" depending on your source...some of us might have been lucky and get a good batch of Toslink connectors, others not (my case).... because of that Devialet made the (wise) decision of stop promissing 24/192 over Toslink...and you will witness this has a common trend in the DAC world...if Devialet never upgrades to one of those standards, basically we are all stuck with pretty average but very expensive speakers...

Messages In This Thread
RE: Phantom Gold doesn't support 192/24, surprising answer from support?? - by rsemedo - 13-Dec-2020, 00:48