Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DOS2 Stereo Setup
(27-Sep-2020, 11:19)Snoopy8 Wrote:
(27-Sep-2020, 05:09)scotthar Wrote: Hi, related question - about DOS2 and using the Dialog or not with a stereo pair.  I'm running DOS2 and using the Dialog, with two pairs of phantoms.
The dialog is the best Optical source i have found for me.   The speakers are on the wall or in another room , with Ethernet and power but no optical cable to the speakers.  

Found that Ethernet easily beat optical for sound quality.  Can you use UPnP to feed the Phantoms via Ethernet?

@njaiswal came up with the innovative way of using a BlueSound Node 2i to feed Phantoms via optical in a multi room setup.  Perhaps you can do the same?

I would love to use UPNP and have tried multiple times, but cant find a suitable replacement for my library software, that also does UPNP and does it all really well.

I will keep trying but at this point dont know of anything that is GOOD REALLY GOOD.  WMP is about the best runner up from an experience perspective but its also hinky, and crusty, and not really a good option other than it DOES do UPNP fairly well. its really about the playback and user experience more than the sound quality in this case. 

Audiology whatever it was called looked sort of promising, but does not handle touch screens properly.
I may try it again when and if they actually implement touch properly as they have "promised".

And still have not met a UPNP app that works as well as a native playback app.
I've tried to get musicbee (my primary playback app) to work with UPNP but the plugin has never worked for me.

Aside UPNP everyway i have seen it is weird i dont want to "send to" or "play to" or "throw" my music tracks a track or album at a time, i want to click play and have it start, or click DJ and let it entertain me without thinking, etc. aside I am loathe to change my library software - just way too large and too much time and energy invested in the playlists, organization, etc, to randomly start over. 

SORRY that's a bunch of nay-saying  and appreciate your FINE suggestions - technically good stuff -  THANK YOU FOR SUGGESTING.

I will look into the other option you mention.  Problem is i also DON'T want to run OPTICAL to the speakers hanging on the wall, or run optical in the wall, that's what the network cable is supposed to be for right!?

Really considering dante like soltuion is probably what i am looking for.

I would go with the Dante -> Ethernet to Optical solution, this is my leading theoretical option.

thanks again for the suggestions
scott-

Messages In This Thread
DOS2 Stereo Setup - by ManwithaPlan - 25-Sep-2020, 17:05
RE: DOS2 Stereo Setup - by alandbush - 25-Sep-2020, 17:18
RE: DOS2 Stereo Setup - by ManwithaPlan - 25-Sep-2020, 22:02
RE: DOS2 Stereo Setup - by Snoopy8 - 26-Sep-2020, 05:19
RE: DOS2 Stereo Setup - by ManwithaPlan - 27-Sep-2020, 20:49
RE: DOS2 Stereo Setup - by scotthar - 27-Sep-2020, 05:09
RE: DOS2 Stereo Setup - by ragwo - 27-Sep-2020, 08:58
RE: DOS2 Stereo Setup - by scotthar - 30-Sep-2020, 21:15
RE: DOS2 Stereo Setup - by ragwo - 01-Oct-2020, 16:42