Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Break your power supply challenge
In part, I agree with @David A , the "Pim Test" will not actually prove that power conditioner will or will not improve performance of an amplifier. 

That said, I think it is a valid test, because you could load up a power strip will all kinds of SMPS powered devices, or motor driven items.  Then switch the power strip in and out, and see (hear) if there are any audible differences in your system.  So even if this does not ultimately prove anything, it is a relatively easy way to get some information, and hear something (or not) with your own ears.

Consider, if you cannot hear anything via the Pim test, it might give you some insight that all this power conditioning is perhaps not worrying about, to your ears at least, but if you did clearly hear something it might educate you as to what exactly you should be listening for if you did try one.  As far as I can see the test will just take a little time, it will not cost anything, so why not give it a try? If nothing else, it could give you some insight as to how much you need to worry about the very many SMPS powered devices you might have lurking elsewhere in your house, I know I have a few.

When I have the time I will try it for myself.

I stumbled across this video yesterday, and did wonder if this was footage of Pim trying the test himself?  Angel Although these are UK sockets shown, so maybe this what the test will look like when I give it a try?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iC9JDwCCimA
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12

Messages In This Thread
Break your power supply challenge - by Pim - 26-Sep-2020, 10:56
RE: Break your power supply challenge - by Pim - 09-Nov-2020, 22:02
RE: Break your power supply challenge - by Pim - 27-Sep-2020, 02:48
RE: Break your power supply challenge - by Confused - 04-Oct-2020, 11:00