Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
440 Pro CI with Sonus Faber Olympica III volume...
(06-Oct-2020, 04:48)David A Wrote: A volume control is a tone control to a degree. Our ears aren't equally sensitive at all frequencies, they are less sensitive to extreme high and low frequencies than they are to midrange frequencies and they are more insensitive to extreme high and low frequencies at low listening levels and become more sensitive to those frequencies as you turn the volume up.

If you listen at too low a level, and what "too low a level" is will depend on what level the recording engineer mastered the recording at, then the sound is going to sound flat because the bass and upper treble are going to sound rolled off to you. It's got nothing to do with the amp or the speakers, it's all to do with the way our hearing works.

Do a Google search for "Fletcher Munson curves" and you will find lots of information about hearing sensitivity at the frequency extremes.

You're likely correct for the most part as my hearing has declined with age for sure.
However, I've recently (ie. within the last year or so) heard systems where low volume still produces dynamics that were quite apparent. It also may have a lot to do with the room dimensions and treatments as well as my room is quite dampened to a large part with a large sectional sofa, thick rug with underpad and some QRD diffusors to address reflections.

Messages In This Thread
RE: 440 Pro CI with Sonus Faber Olympica III volume... - by sfdude - 06-Oct-2020, 18:49