Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Firmware 13.2.0 - DOS 2.2.6 for Expert Pro - Release note
@Axel ,

You said "With a firmware update it may be possible to use the USB input for mic. measurement.
I’m not certain that the all sing all dancing CI board wouldn’t be capable of using the SD card as extra memory and that a FW update wouldn’t be capable of raising the 8GB limit."

You're right, those things MAY be possible. My point was that we don't know what is possible because the capabilities of the board, the processor, and the amount of storage available aren't public knowledge. If there are no hardware limitations preventing what you're suggesting, then if they'd "pull their digits out of their fundaments" as you put it they should be able to deliver what you suggest. On the other hand, if their are hardware limitations preventing what you're suggesting then quite possibly none of what you've suggested could be achieved. As I said, we don't know what the hardware capabilities and limitations are and that means we have no way of knowing what can be achieved.

You also said "… if only they’d pull their digits out of their fundaments on the soft/firmware front and apply themselves to the issues at hand , I see no reason that most if not all of what I’ve suggested could be achieved." Being able to achieve most of what you've suggested might be no better than being able to deliver none of it. It doesn't matter whether the SD card can or can't be used for extra storage. What counts is whether the amp with it's current hardware can do everything that is required to deliver a given functionality. If it can, then we may see that functionality. If it can't, then it doesn't matter whether it can do most of what's required to deliver the functionality or only a fraction of what's required, it simply can't deliver the functionality if it can't do everything required for deliver.

@markush

Devialet may be in discussion with Dirac but that doesn't mean that we may see Dirac in the Expert Pro range. Perhaps they're in planning for the next model in the amplifier series and what they're talking about will never be implemented on the Expert Pro range, just like there are things implemented in the Expert Pro range which aren't available on the Expert range. Let's say they can do something with Dirac for the Expert Pro range. They did something with Roon and RAAT, didn't get it quite right, and took 20 months to deliver a bug fix which some people are saying hasn't fixed that problem. Their own room correction feature, Sweet Room, doesn't play well with SAM and you can only use 5 filters per channel with SAM rather than their stated 9 filters per channel. How long is it going to take to fix that, and to fix the RAAT ethernet problem if they still haven't got that right? Talking to Dirac is fine but delivering something people can use, and use without problems, is another thing entirely.

There's an old saying about not counting your chickens before they're hatched. It seems to me that people are already counting the chickens Devialet are going to deliver and Devialet hasn't told any of us how many eggs are in their nest.

If the RAAT problem and the Sweet Room problem tell us anything, it's that rolling a firmware release out the door and saying it can do something is most definitely not the same thing as rolling a firmware release out the door that can actually do what Devialet says it will do. Given that, we're getting way ahead of ourselves if we want to think that we're having a serious discussion about what Devialet may deliver in the future when they've said nothing publicly about their plans.
Roon Nucleus+, Devilalet Expert 140 Pro CI, Focal Sopra 2, PS Audio P12, Keces P8 LPS, Uptone Audio EtherREGEN with optical fibre link to my router, Shunyata Alpha NR and Sigma NR power cables, Shunyata Sigma ethernet cables, Shunyata Alpha V2 speaker cables, Grand Prix Audio Monaco rack, RealTRAPS acoustic treatment.

Brisbane, Qld, Australia

Messages In This Thread
RE: Firmware 13.2.0 - DOS 2.2.6 for Expert Pro - Release note - by David A - 27-Oct-2020, 14:21