Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fantastic Tweak for Ethernet input
(14-Jun-2014, 13:07)Hermanh Wrote: The placebo effect is easely countered by blind testing.
Any change in my system is first tested with the wife during a blind test to see if there is any improvement.
As with the debate on cables it's better to try it for yourself before simply discarding it

Over the last 45 years I have improved my ability to evaluate kit before buying it. Most things have a long term home evaluation before I commit to buying them. I learned this after finding 2 amps which logically should sound the same did not, this was in around 1974 or 5.
I did a huge test of different cables, mainly speaker but a few interconnects too, where I listened, my daughter changed cables. This was probably the early to mid 90s.
The only cables which sounded different had some sort of filter in line (MIT, Transparent, Goldmund) which presumably -did- alter the audio signal. All other cables, from a freebie interconnect which came with a cassette recorder to the most expensive sounded the same, as long as the sound level was not changed.
On most cable demos at shops they turn the sound up a bit for the expensive ones.

I admit to potential expectation bias, I am an engineer after all and am quite dismayed by some of the complete bollox peddled to the unknowledgeable, but I satisfied myself then that very expensive cables fitted into the "never give a sucker an even break" category of business.
The laws of physics and the approach of the cable business has not changed since then.
I see no reason to waste another few days repeating what I can did then when there no logical reason why the result would change.

I do not doubt that people can hear a non-existent difference, the placebo effect is well known evidence of this effect.
I am just urging people to be a little bit more sceptical of what they read.

Having said that, I did buy an Astell & Kern 240 without an audition, mainly because it plays all file types and I liked the way it is made. It sounds great too, but I haven't tested it level matched with anything else, it would be too difficult (unlike cables).
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

Messages In This Thread
RE: Fantastic Tweak for Ethernet input - by f1eng - 15-Jun-2014, 10:28