Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Premier vs Gold sound and reolution
Hi,

after about a month and a lot of critical listening to my new Phantom Premier on new DOS 2.11.3, I've following conclusion about sound quality etc.

Treble and "presence" is definitely of high order. Soundstage is more forward oriented, but there is a lot of ambient presence if it was recorded.
If feeded with first class recording, the sound can be really excellent, however the unit is very "unforgettable" - bad or mediocre recordings do not sound good. Resolution is excellent, "air" is there but much more irritating with bad recordings - compared with my HiFi system consisting of speakers with silk dome tweeters (OK system costs about 10K€). 

Has anyone sharing same thoughts? And, what is for me of much interest, is the Gold more revealing and also very sensitive to recordings, or does it better compensate the metallic sound with mediocre recordings.
It could be possible that not only the tweeter on Gold would be better but also the DAC chip, which is different on Premier and Gold. ?

RE: Bass 

Deep bass is excellent and very "fast". Definitely High End. But mid bass is a little "thin" - wish if it would be more of it, which would contribute to more "fatty" sound. As the system is tuned not for chamber and jazz, but more for pop and rock.
- OK - I know mid bass could be better if placed close to wall, but the spatial resolution would not be so good.

Hope to come to experienced audiophiles to start this discussion.

Messages In This Thread
Premier vs Gold sound and reolution - by tomsag - 12-Oct-2020, 18:32