Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Few Quick Questions - buying Advice
(17-Oct-2020, 02:37)Charcharius Wrote: I thought about this a lot, actually.  Our tastes seem similar, as I game as well.

I love them as speakers for sure.  If you have a bigger desk, you’ll likely love them.  If not, you might find them a bit big, a bit too powerful, and the input/outputs a bit on the limiting side.  I’ll explain.

While the speakers are on the smaller side v. the full size Phantoms, they aren’t small relative to a desk.  For best imaging, the front of the speaker should be a bit proud (ie. extend beyond the edge of the surface they are on).
These puppies don’t need a sub, that’s for sure.  Especially the 900s - the difference is noticeable.  I own both.
I’ve found them reliable as speakers, but the some software updates have been a bit odd.  UPnP implementations in some software has been the biggest issue I’ve had, which won’t affect your plan.

Stereo works great in wireless, but again, hopefully others can chime in on the lag in this configuration.  Using UPNP, AirPlay, or anything other than a wired connection is too laggy for games, as you’ve no doubt realized.  The mini toslink is what you’ll want.

PS - matte black looks great!

Thank you very much for this. My desk is relatively small, I'll take measurements to see how imposing these would be.

1. What is the input on the speakers? Is it Optical? you said Mini Toslink, did you mean a 3.5mm going to Optical? In the picture, it looks round, like a Coax cable would fit in.
2. Can the speakers be physically connected by a wire to avoid dealing with the lag issues?

Thanks again!

Messages In This Thread
RE: A Few Quick Questions - buying Advice - by killergurt - 17-Oct-2020, 03:26