Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sweet Room - Ideas for alternative uses other than room correction
(19-Oct-2020, 02:52)David A Wrote:
(18-Oct-2020, 20:56)Pim Wrote: Because I have little stand mounts in a large room, I have them set up too close to the front wall to add a bit of bass boost. For some frequencies that works great but for some it muddies the sound. I’m planning to use Sweet Room to compensate for that. I don’t know what you would call that. ‘Bad speaker set up’ compensation perhaps?

Pim,

Have you tried moving them out into the room? I used to have Dynaudio Contour 1.3 SEs.  not quite the C1s but still a 2 way stand mount with very good extension for a 2 way stand mount. I had them close to the walls in my previous home but when I moved to my current house I could put them in a bigger room and I ran with them out into the room with their front baffle 2 metres from the wall behind them, a bit further out even than Dynaudio's recommendation of 1 to 1.5 metres from the wall. I never felt that I lost any bass and I felt I actually got a more open and airy top end than when I had them much closer to the wall in my previous home. My experience with my Dyns was that getting them out from the wall actually helped overall and lost little or nothing on the bass end. I suspect that you could run the C1s further out into the room than you currently are without losing very much in the way of  bass boost from wall proximity and it may even go some way to clearing up that muddying you mention. I suspect that your room is larger than my current room so I probably wouldn't pull them out to 2 metres from the wall behind them but if you have them closer to the wall than 1 metre, I would definitely try somewhere in the 1 to 1.5 meter range that Dynaudio seem to recommend for their better 2 way stand mounts.

Well, I gave it go. I have to say it was quite good fun to have a proper sound stage again. It's been nearly two years since I moved them from our old living room to the new and I'd forgotten how good these speakers are. But, and that's quite a but, the lowest bass was lost. 

I also moved the listening seat closer and that showed me that I can actually get most of the room's reflections out of the way. I reckon with a couple of subs it can sound really, really good and this little exercise has also got my wife more interested in listening to music 'properly'.

Altogether a good day. Thanks for the tip David.
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Sweet Room - Ideas for alternative uses other than room correction - by Pim - 19-Oct-2020, 09:56