Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Room analysis software
I know we have a thread covering DIRAC room correction software.  However, I think that perhaps I need something a little simpler? 

Inspired by other posts on the forum today I have ordered a USB UMIK-1 microphone.  I am sure from listening to my system that I do have some minor room issues, bass nulls etc.  In order to assist with experimenting with speaker positioning, room treatment etc. I would like some software that will provide a clear graphical representation of frequency response, so I can compare results with slightly different set ups.

I don't think I will ever go as far as going for actual room correction.  My requirements for the software would simply to be as user friendly (idiot proof would be ideal for me) and as intuitive as possible, software hassle makes me grumpy!  The software would need to run on a Windows 8.1 PC and be compatible with AIR.

Any suggestions?
Room EQ Wizard aka REW sounds like exactly what you need.
Thorens TD-166 MK II, Intel NUC (Streacom fanless case, Windows 10, Audiophile Optimizer, Roon, HQPlayer and Acourate), HDPlex 100W LPSU, Uptone Regen, Devialet 120, Sonus Faber Liuto, GIK Acoustics Bass Traps
Try Analyzer App, for iPad
Linn LP12 Sondek + Radikal + Urika + Ekos II + EMT HSD006 - roon nucleus + SBooster - Devialet 220 Pro CI - Kef LS50 - Dspeaker Antimode 8033s II + SBooster - Kef KF92 Subwoofer

Bavaria
I am starting a few experiments with REW software. However, I keep getting a warning message "impulse peak is not where it should be". I tried looking at the REW website & forum, which was not much help. Any ideas?
For what it's worth, I can get some nice graphs despite the warning message.  So maybe it's not a big issue?  A SAM on / off comparison attached.  SAM appears to be making a huge difference below 10Hz!  Although what use that is, other than for cracking the ceiling and wall plaster, I really have no idea!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(31-Jan-2015, 14:04)Confused Wrote: I am starting a few experiments with REW software.  However, I keep getting a warning message "impulse peak is not where it should be".  I tried looking at the REW website & forum, which was not much help.  Any ideas?

I haven't played around with REW much, but I wonder whether it's bothered about the round-trip delay between its output and the incoming signal from the microphone.  What is your "target device buffer" setting in AIR (I'm assuming you're using AIR as the output device)?  When I tried Dirac and Fuzz Measure I found I had to temporarily crank it down to the lowest setting, 50 ms, to get everything to work nicely.

Maybe that helps?

Ian
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
Your assumption is correct, I am using AIR. (Ethernet) I had thought about possible buffer issues and had reduced to the minimum 50ms before I started. All I really wanted to achieve was to get some idea of bass peaks and troughs before a bit of experimenting with speaker positioning and room conditioning and I think the results so far maybe look good enough for this? I believe Fuzz Measure is MAC only? I'm using a Windows PC. I think I'll go hunting for some alternative software to try.
Oh, sorry not to have helped. Yes, FM is Mac-only.
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
(31-Jan-2015, 15:47)thumb5 Wrote: Oh, sorry not to have helped.  Yes, FM is Mac-only.

All contributions greatfully received Mr Thumb! Shy
I was thinking of having another go at room analysis this weekend. I have some questions.

looking at last weekend's graph (Post #5 above.) It would appear that the bass in the 40 - 50hz region is some 25dB louder than the rest of the frequency range, making bass in this region appear to be over 4 times louder. (an increase of 10 dB sounds twice loud to the human ear) Can this be true? It does not actually sound like the low bass is 4 times louder than it should be?

Second question, I never did manage to get rid of the error message that REW was producing. Can anyone suggest a Windows compatible alternative I could try?