Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Experiences of a new Expert Pro owner
(27-Jan-2021, 15:06)Daz Wrote: Yes, exactly.  With those settings (if they are the default) my amp with the ProAc speakers (with SAM on or off) sounded pretty bad.  I have changed the settings to the image below (with the perhaps misguided idea that it more closely matches the range of the speakers) and the sound is much improved.  My question is, presumably these settings must be related to the speakers being used in some way, so how do we decide on the optimum settings?  It can't be just trial and error surely.

I would not use the settings you posted.  The frequency you set is the frequency at which the tone control will start to work, so there is zero change at the set frequency, and then the bass (or treble) will then very gradually increase or decrease in gain away from the set point.  So if you have the bass set to 30Hz (as shown) the tone control will gradually change the bass only below 30Hz.

So a small change at 20Hz, and a little more at 10Hz, all of which will be more or less inaudible.  In the same way, you have set the treble to 20kHz, so the change in tone will only be made above 20kHz, which is genuinely inaudible. (for most of us)

To start, I would recommend that you use Devialet's default settings, which is 100Hz for the bass, and 2kHz for the treble. And as mentioned above, check the bass and treble settings are 0.0 (in the display, not the configurator), and take things from there.

The Devialet default settings are pretty much in line with how the tone controls would work on a conventional amplifier, and if set to 0.0, they will not do do anything anyway.
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12

Messages In This Thread
Experiences of a new Expert Pro owner - by Daz - 27-Jan-2021, 13:24
RE: Experiences of a new Expert Pro owner - by Confused - 27-Jan-2021, 17:14