Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Phantoms not supporting anything higher than 24bits/48Khz
(11-Feb-2021, 11:25)quagga Wrote: My summary is as follows.
Different batches of versions of the speakers have different input parts therefore earlier ones support higher sampling frequencies than the current ones. There are people reporting they feed 24bits/192kHz and the file is played (downscaled probably but it is not rejected). Some others can not get any sound if they do that with 192kHz. Soit means that there are some hardware sourcing changes.

It might not affect the end result though, because we just do not know whether higher resolutions are downscaled. To start with a hi res is good but not much if you can not make use of it fully. If this was and is the case then the only convenience of hi res supporting inputs is the ability to accept such files instead the speaker not playing it at all.

The second change is the internal DAC capability, it was stated even for the Reactors to be 24bits/192kHz, and now it is 24bits/96kHz.
But why? What is the use of 96kHz when your DOS (DOS2)  is rated 48kHz.  And what was the kHz of the earlier operating system (DOS1) while the DAC was 192kHz.

There are a lot of unknowns. I want to buy a pair of reactor 900s (now IIs 98 dB) not because of sound quality as there are much better  alternatives at same or less price for the scope of genre I listen to (I am not into popular music, neither R&B, Drum'n'Bass, etc., more like 60's-70's-80'S rock, and then jazz , classical, ethnic ambient and experimental music) . The reason I want Devialet is the form factor, wirelessness, and convenience. But it is like a puzzle now.
Exactly my thoughts...Devialet it's just too dangerous, you don't really know what is coming, it's all driven by marketing FUD and even they don't seem to understand their own products with all the changes of specs...I've been waiting for the Roon capability for years to finally "spread" my house with Gold's and Reactors for my kids, etc, and simplify my HIFI system.... not doing it anymore...the only people happy are the ones using them has a very expensive Bluetooth speaker, listening to Spotify and connected via Toslink to their TV's... obviously everyone values their money differently, but 5k for that is completely insane....like you say, there are dozens of other/better options for that kind of listening requirement...

Messages In This Thread
RE: Phantoms not supporting anything higher than 24bits/48Khz - by rsemedo - 11-Feb-2021, 13:07