Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Phantoms not supporting anything higher than 24bits/48Khz
(10-Feb-2021, 23:16)struts Wrote:
(10-Feb-2021, 20:40)Mohmm Wrote: I am surprised by your discovery of Roon Ready allowing 24/96. I used this input for HiRez stuff, but Roon showed 24/48.

What's the reason of that?

I have to admit I can’t make head or tail of this.  In what way does Phantom support RAAT at 24/96 but not at 24/192?  My Phantoms at least appear to treat them identically.

I played a 24/96 cut of Nora Jones “Come Away With Me” via Roon.  The Roon signal path shows it being padded to 64 bit for SRC and then downsampled to 24/48, consistent with the published limitation of DOS 2.  The track played without problems on my K28 (mid-2017) Phantom Golds and sounded lovely. Then I played a 24/192 version of the same album, with *exactly* the same result.

Just to further add to the confusion both tracks also play without problems from Audirvana via UPnP.  So my Phantoms are not rejecting 24/192 material sent over either RAAT (which downsamples to match endpoint) or UPnP (which afaik doesn’t), even if it is downsampling both to 24/48 before conversion. 

So I would say either these inputs support 24/192 (in the sense that they will accept input programme at that resolution) or that they support 24/48 (in the sense that regardless of whether the programme is 24/96 or 24/192 it is downsampled to 24/48 for DAC).

Now I realise the 24/96 spec for the Roon input refers to the Phantom I 108 dB, so maybe there is a difference between the two hardware generations?  Could someone with the new model please rerun this test and report back?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Phantoms are from the series K45 and L37, so pretty old. This is what happens with "Come Away With Me":

192kHz/24Bit version:

96kHz/24Bit version:

Same for the slightly newer Reactors 600 (L45-47, "Phantom II 95dB Duo"  Confused  ) — which is apparently what Devialet claim on the updated specs. Everything sounds better than ever btw...

Quick Edit: Slightly curious why the on-device downsampling isn't marked as a "High Quality" step in the Signal Path. Maybe a marketing spin by Roon and Devialet?
Devialet Phantom Gold Duo | Devialet Phantom Reactor 600 Duo | 2x New Devialet Remote | 4x HiFiBerry RAAT endpoints & low-cost passive speakers — Roon Lifetime

Messages In This Thread
RE: Phantoms not supporting anything higher than 24bits/48Khz - by DesertEagleAZ - 11-Feb-2021, 15:14