Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Phantoms not supporting anything higher than 24bits/48Khz
(11-Feb-2021, 22:38)DesertEagleAZ Wrote:
(11-Feb-2021, 19:18)struts Wrote:
bpo Wrote: Sounds like it downsamples internally and doesn't report back to Roon that it did that....  added layer of confusion, haha.

Er, reporting back to Roon is exactly what it is doing.  Otherwise you wouldn’t be seeing the downsampling reported in the Roon signal path..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@struts I'm curious — what's better about Roon doing the downsampling vs. having the Phantoms do it?

Haha, call it a general mistrust for Devialet software chops!  Actually it is more a trust for Roon and their ASRC algorithm.  Its configurability with options (precise vs smooth, linear vs minimum phase etc.) kind of shows that they have really thought this through and allows me to select according to my preference (which is usually for minimum phase).  As for the Devialet algorithm, well, who knows?  A black box as are most things Devialet.  Another point is just a hunch that it is better to downsample once than twice.  I can't actually back that one up with any well reasoned arguments, it just "feels" better.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Phantoms not supporting anything higher than 24bits/48Khz - by struts - 11-Feb-2021, 23:11