Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can DOS 2 Phantoms reproduce acoustic programme above 24kHz?
Today I had time to play a bit around with feeding hires signals to my Phantoms.
My system: two Gold Phantoms Model MX207 serial J50Nxxxxxx (made week 50, 2016);
One Silver Phantom serial H41Exxxxxx (made week 41, 2014)
All Phantoms are connected through PLC to a Dialog model VY104 serial K01Qxxxxxxx
Signal path: Roon NUC Ethernet =>Router=>WiFi=>RPi=>Digi+ => optical => Phantom (one to the left Gold set as stereo (living room) and to the Silver set as mix (dining room)
I generated with Audacity 30s stereo audio files with different sine signals -3dB, one set flac 24/192k and one set flac 24/96k. Both sets were identical containing sine signals, 1kHz, 20kHz, 22kHz, 25kHz, and one signal of a mixed 1kHz -20dB and 25kHz -3dB. Every signal scored a track.
Results: all tracks played in Roon and left the RPi to the Phantoms, no problem. I could well hear all signals containing the 1kHz sine (4 tracks, 2@192k and 2@96k). So the mixed signal of loud 25k sine and 1k sine was well audible (of course I heard the 1k sine and some low noise have the ear very close to the tweeter). This very similar on the Gold as on the Silver Phantoms. The noise on the Silver is louder (ADH1 vs. ADH2). Now comes the interesting part: I heard the noise when playing the 20k and the 22k sines on both systems. After the track is played the Phantoms mute the amplifier noise. On the Gold it produces a little click. On the Silvers it goes to mute. Then: when playing the 30s 25k sine signal after 3s both Phantoms go to mute. Roon continued to play the track, but the Phantoms mute. So this shows that a 25kHz signal is not played. However, I cannot say if in the mixed signal (1k and 25k) that plays and is not muted after 3seconds the 25k portion is audiable.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Can DOS 2 Phantoms reproduce acoustic programme above 24kHz? - by streamy - 06-Feb-2021, 17:26