Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can Devialet 120 drive KEF 203/2 Reference
I have newly acquired KEF 203/2 Reference (one gen old). A week ago, I had finalized on Cyrus Lyric-09 or Naim SuperUniti until I saw Devialet on stereophile. I sent request for D120 ownership to local dealer. Obvioulsy D120 is a stretch for me from Lyric/SU, but willing to take the plunge looking at SAM's advantage of audio clarity.

Any opinion regarding D120 can/not drive "KEF 203/2 Reference"? (for specs you will have to copy "KEF 203/2 Reference" -> google -> reach KEF site).
Currently KEFs are driven by Rotel RA1570 (borrowed, you can see in the pic).

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Rock OS (Roon) on NUC 2016 Model (ETH Wired to Router) > Cat8 from Router to switch to 220Pro (CI) > RAAT/AIR > Monitor Audio PL300 II
Ipad Mini 4/iPhone for Roon Remote"
Looking at the specs of the Ref203/2, the speaker seems to be reasonably efficient and the impedance stays above 3.2 ohms. 50 watts recommended.

I don't think the Devialet 120 will have any issues driving the speakers. You need to demo it with your speakers to see if it is a good match. I am sure you will be pleasantly surprised with the devialet 120. Good luck.
--- JayR

Acer Aspire / Sony SCD-777ES -- Devialet D-200 -- Audio Physic Virgo 25
Thanks Jayr, just now browsing, saw elsewhere I read D120 + B&W 804 being appreciated, which has similar to KEF 203/3 specs [ 50-200; impedance 8ohms to 3ohms ].
Rock OS (Roon) on NUC 2016 Model (ETH Wired to Router) > Cat8 from Router to switch to 220Pro (CI) > RAAT/AIR > Monitor Audio PL300 II
I have D200 + KEF Ref 205/2 and I've had to limit the output to 110W. My listening room is smaller though. I would audition the 120 if I were you.
thanks Jjo for sharing. You limited output of D200 ?. you can do that?

Its quite far from my location but I will audition. The suggestion here is D120 should be good for 203 ?.
(06-Feb-2015, 13:05)Jnan_devi Wrote: You limited output of D200 ?. you can do that?

Yup see the image below:

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
Wow. I m now serious to buy this product. Its "just like that"

So I still dont get it why would some one do that ? Does this answer the D120 can drive KEF 203/2 ?. I m on budget hence asking this.

BTW KEF 203/3 are still not SAM approved.

Any side comment on Lyric-09 or Naim SU ? Or strictly not applicable on this Site if so i get it!
In my opinion, the Devialet 120 will not have any issues driving your KEF 203/2. However, whether it will drive your speakers To your liking will be for you to decide. Hence, the suggestion to audition the product. If possible, try to audition it at home to make sure that it works well with your system and your room. That would be the most ideal.

I can imagine turning down the power if your speakers are highly efficient (>90 db?) and maybe used in a smaller room. Accidental adventures with the volume control can be avoided.

I have no comments about the Lyric or the Naim as I have not heard them.

Cheers,
--- JayR

Acer Aspire / Sony SCD-777ES -- Devialet D-200 -- Audio Physic Virgo 25
Sounds good!. thank you Jay.
(06-Feb-2015, 13:25)Jnan_devi Wrote: So I still dont get it why would some one do that ? Does this answer the D120 can drive KEF 203/2 ?. I m on budget hence asking this.

The reason I've limited the maximum power has to do with the sensitivity of the speakers and the minor flaw in Devialet. When listening to music on a (too) low volume, Devilaet loses some of it's sparkle. With sensitive speakers the volume gets pretty loud pretty fast so my normal listening volume was on the "less sparkle" range. By limiting the maximum power I can turn up the volume and the magic is there without the sound pressure getting uncomfortable.

I would assume D120 drives KEF Ref 203/2 just fine. I auditioned both the speakers and they behaved quite similarly with the amp I was using them with. I think Devialet is a good amplifier for the Reference 20x/2 series.