Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Remote mayhem with two Devialet Experts
So I thought it worth posting an update here to the conundrum of operating two Devialet Experts one floor apart.

The final word from Devialet is ... you can't!  Or more specifically, you cannot use two Devialet Expert-remote pairs within a few meters of each other, as the remotes constantly un-pair and re-pair with the two amps.

To recap, my issue is that I have an Expert 120 and an Expert 200 a floor apart, and I was finding that remotes either stopped working, or (worse) randomly started to control the amp in the floor below/above -- making neither amp useable with the remote.

Devialet's response to this was:

Quote:No solution for this on the non-Pro range.
The pairing can be locked on the Pro range but not on the Expert classic one.

In other words, my only option was to upgrade. To their credit, the Devialet support person did conclude with "Hope it's clear for you. Have a lovely day" -- although it was presumably to e a lovely day sans fully operational amplifier!

My follow-up question therefore was asking whether upgrading the 120 to a 140 would resolve the issue. Sadly not. This is what I got back:

Quote:The Expert Pro will be able to be locked on a given remote but the remaining Expert amp will still pair to both remotes.
Thus it would only solve partly this issue.

So the bottom line is that, unless I fork out over $5,600 to upgrade both amps, I'm kinda screwed. The good news is that both amps work. But I can only control one of them with the finesse that is the mark of the brand.

As a coda to this, beyond the frustration I'm experiencing I'm fascinated that a company that stakes so much of its brand can have made such a basic design error in not ensuring the remotes and amps lock on to each other. My day job is as a leading expert on emerging technology and society (I'm a university prof). I'm also an author and write about tech. And this story is such a good illustration of how even the best company gets it wrong ... and then digs in rather than correcting the problem, that it'll probably find its way into an article somewhere.

Watch this space Smile
Systems: Expert 200 + Linn Majik 109 + Roon | Expert 120 + Linn Tukan + Roon | Linn Majik DSM3/Exactbox + Linn Majik 140 Active

Messages In This Thread
RE: Remote mayhem with two Devialet Experts - by amaynard - 10-Mar-2021, 15:33