Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lyra Kleos or Kleos SL into Devialet
Thank you all for your replies.

Just by way of an update: After auditioning a few cartridges at Cymbiosis in Leicester, I have now upgraded my Linn Krystal to a Lyra Kleos SL; and I'm absolutely delighted with it. Wow!

@Confused, the hiss from the Kleos SL is indeed very similar to that from my Krystal. My mistake; I had been under the assumption that the Krystal was a higher output device. In fact, I had been running my Devialet with the phono input sensitivity set to 0.5mV rather than 0.25mV which should have been a much better match. However, and after playing with the Devialet's 'on-the-fly' RAM adgustable cartridge settings, I find that changing from 0.5mV to 0.25mV only means that I need less overall volume for the same perceived sound level. Like for like, the hiss level is indistinguishably similar using either 0.5mV or 0.25mV. This suggests I've found or reached the overall noise floor of the Devialet's MC phono input.

The overall hiss level is not too bad, and only really noticable between tracks and at 'higher' listening levels, or if I get close up to one of my loudspeaker's tweaters. However, I am now intrigued as to whether an MC stepup transformer might increase the overall signal-to-noise available from the Devialet phono stage. Everything I'm reading suggests it would, but then finding the right stepup transformer is a whole new question.

Thank you Wiresandmore and Vin for your suggestions. It certaily looks like there are some reassuringly expensive stepup transformers out there. More research required, but any other suggestions welcome, and especially from anyone using a Lyra Kleos SL through stepups.

Thanks again, NickW

Messages In This Thread
RE: Lyra Kleos or Kleos SL into Devialet - by NickW - 26-Aug-2021, 10:53