Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Performance of different streaming solutions
Hi David,

Always a pleasure to read your messages.
I get it, for most of you guys the path has been more organically distributed along a timeline that was characterized by bugs, glitches and other annoyances that are now gone, while I essentially popped onto this user experience all at once and, importantly, using a previous generation of Devialet.

I totally agree with the fact that, even in the absence of sonic performance improvements, switching from a problematic interface to a well thought one can be worth an investment.
Since you touched base with that:
- I know that habits are a bottleneck to go through. I like BluOS as I'm used to it. With Roon, I have to learn (I expressed myself wrong: with cosmetic, I didn't really mean how pretty the window looks: rather, I was referring to the spatial layout)
- BluOS allows me to do 100% of what I need (including using Amazon Music or Spotify, Radio Paradise, local and international radios) with the limitation of not sending music to the Devialet via ethernet or USB nor to control the Expert's volume in app. My Node works, essentially, as a digital transport with streamer abilities
- in case of a switch to Roon, the Node would go. I could use Roon to drive the Node, but I'd see no point. I would still have the limitations of above
- I indeed think that Roon would be more functional if installed on a dedicated machine, like the ones you mentioned, or even maybe a Mac Mini purchased ad hoc. Definitely not the laptop I use for everything else

I will be honest. I was looking for some sonic upgrade so that I could have considered Roon and justified the expense. Selling the Node I would have partially covered the costs of the long term Roon license and with a wiped out, second-hand Mac Mini I could have built a server without breaking the bank. At the moment, though, I'd most likely channel the extra money that this project would have costed towards other areas (a better cartridge for record playing, for example).
But I'll continue to test for the duration of my trial Smile

Messages In This Thread
RE: Performance of different streaming solutions - by docvale - 05-Aug-2021, 12:54