Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Any feedback on Phanotom from Paris and/or London?
(16-Feb-2015, 23:33)IanG-UK Wrote:
(16-Feb-2015, 22:59)PhilP Wrote: When they say the Dialog has huge storage I'm not clear what they mean? According to the white paper it has 1Gb RAM and there's no mention of an internal HDD. Do they just mean that you can connect a USB HD to it?

Well I got the impression that one only needed a Dialog and either a Phantom or an Expert plus speakers; and that the library capability was 'huge". 

In the Phantom white paper, the Dialog spec says that it  has 1GB of RAM memory and 2GB of flash memory (which I presume is like a USB flash drive). And in terms of CDs I think (though I know little here) that that is equivalent to around 2,000 discs?

I expect the 2 GB flash memory will be to store the embedded operating software (firmware); it's too small to be any reasonable form of built-in music storage.  (One CD can store about 670 MB = 0.67 GB so 2GB would only be enough for 3 CDs, without compression.  With compression that might stretch to 5 or 6 CDs, perhaps.)  So when Devialet talk of "huge storage" they probably mean "capacity to access/manage/index huge music libraries, stored externally" and it's losing something in the translation...

[ETA: I see you've already had this discussion...must read the whole thread before replying!]
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK

Messages In This Thread
RE: Any feedback on Phanotom from Paris and/or London? - by thumb5 - 17-Feb-2015, 08:44