Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
To SAM or not to SAM, that is the question ...
(04-Jan-2022, 15:08)ogs Wrote: I'd go straight to fw 10.1.0 and load SAM for the LS50 Meta. If you do not enjoy that a KC62 sub (or two) should do it. If using a subwoofer SAM should be left off as there is no independent line out on the 120 and you must use the speaker level input on the sub. There used to be a SubPreOut board option for the 120. Maybe your 120 have the board installed?

I am tempted to do this. 

As David wrote, and as I anticipated at the start, there are few, if any, who have had all their planets aligned to know these answers. 

It only really occurred to me yesterday, when installing 7.1.3, that SAM was not being activated for the LS50 Metas. The sub was hooked up, and the sound was great. I could live with it, but do wonder what to do to make it better still, which is possible owing to the many permutations available. It got me thinking that LS50 cannot be that different from LS50 Meta. Still, I will be patient with this. I have posed the question to Devialet, and will post their reply when they will get back to me. 

The Expert 120 I have did not come with a pre-out board. Rats. This is not that big a deal since one school believes that the best way to hook up a subwoofer is from the speaker out plugs on the amp. In the case of the KC62, it is powered by 2x500 watt amps internally, and these require a minimal amount of power to drive them. This is how they are set up, and the loudness and cutoff is set at the sub. 

Since I have not actually experienced SAM, I am now more curious than ever to find out what it is all about. Perhaps 10.1.0 would be interesting - I have a few extra 2 Gb SD cards. I can switch off, then on, the KC62 and hear the differences. I am also curious to know if anyone has used SAM on LS50s or LS50 Metas, and decided that a sub was no longer needed?

Thanks all for your contributions so far.

Regards from Perth

Derek

[Image: 1.jpg]

[Image: 3.jpg]

Messages In This Thread
RE: To SAM or not to SAM, that is the question ... - by derekcohen - 04-Jan-2022, 16:09