Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
To SAM or not to SAM, that is the question ...
A bit of an update from my end.

The complicating factor is that we all have different speakers and cables, and so your experience may differ from my own. In addition, I received new interconnects - Geoff at Aurealis does wonderful work: Furutech pure silver for digital connects to an Oppo CD, and a Cambridge CXN (2) (for Tidal and FLAC), and a Spiral 2 silver and copper helix wire for phono connects (to Supex 900 IV). As the cables changed, I stayed with 10.1.0 for some continuity. The speakers are Kef LS50 Meta and the sub is a Kef KC 62, which is connected piggyback with the speakers as this 120 Expert does not have a pre-out.

The cables certainly tightened up the sound compared to those before (Audioquest Evergreen). The phono cable also now revealed more detail with vinyl (and the previous custom made NB Speaker interconnects were no slouches).

As you can see, there were many changes in the system, and evaluating SAM was complicated. I tried a variety of combinations once the cable sound was set.

Currently, SAM is engaged at 45%, which works especially well with the sub when the system is playing at lower levels. The KC62 is crossed over at 60 Hz. I will reduce SAM for higher levels.

The effect of this combination has been to alter the sound stage, creating a much taller image. In all, the speakers disappear and detail is very good.

I'd plan to play around with 8.1.3 after a while. Unfortunately 7.1.3 is out as there is no SAM for the Metas, only the earlier LS50. The technician at Devialet warned me against using the LS50 profile for the Metas.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Messages In This Thread
RE: To SAM or not to SAM, that is the question ... - by derekcohen - 24-Feb-2022, 14:08