Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
All in One From Cocktail Audio - Focus on its Streaming ability
Thanks for your reply. So far I was lucky, had no issues with AIR over Ethernet or Wifi (just sometimes some drop-out for a fraction of a second, nothing dramatic). So I have no urgency for a different solution. But I just read here and there on this forum/website, people (including the administrator) who said that they got better sound with e.g. highly expensive streamers, so it raises my curiosity about the comparative sound of... especially that X100 device (i.e. modified Linux pc)... But I skeptically guess it will not sound any better than AIR on my system... Still curious to read from others...
(Had a first look at Roon, thanks, but am not convinced. This is not what I am looking for.)

... But that is indeed only half of the story. The other half, more urgent to me, is how to rip my many hundreds of CDs in a nicer, easier, faster way [as I also keep buying new CDs often], as I am fed up with manually doing it on a Windows laptop with Foobar2000 or EAC:
- So one option may be a cocktail audio device, especially that X100 (if it does it bitperfect as claimed, and does a decent job at metadata and album art, so that I have less work to do afterwards, correcting the metadata...).
- Or the other option I am considering is buying a "Nimbie" and use ith with DBPoweramp's batch ripping functions... It would be even more automated, the DBPoweramp seems reliable and performs metadata retrieval well, I read (but I also read that the databases are then not free)... but I would have to hide the Nimbie in the cellar when not using it, that ugly huge thing (whereas the X100 can sit next to hifi equipment without much problem)...
--> So I am very curious about the X100's ripping and metadata abilities...

If I would go for a CD Transport for the devialet [as you mentioned that too], that's another story (I already read the other threads here), which would mean further extra costs, and am not sure yet whether to 'break the bank' and find a used Moon Neo 260D [although some units break down after just 2 years], or get instead something slightly less expensive, like a used Musical Fidelity A1 CD Pro [has no aes/ebu], or a Cyrus CD t [also no aes/ebu] or a RS CD Box from Pro-Ject [does have aes/ebu and some folks here seem to like it]...
Main System: B&W Nautilus 804 - Devialet 200 - Devialet AIR on Ethernet/Wifi + USB for the DSD files - a Windows 7 netbook with Foobar2000 [and also a 5.1 system connected to the Devialet pass-thru, for the blu-ray films...]

Second system: Focal Electra 907 Be - Musical Fidelity M6i - Eastern Electric Minimax Supreme DAC (with Bursons Opamps) - Marantz CD5004

Messages In This Thread
RE: All in One From Cocktail Audio - Focus on its Streaming ability - by lueneburg-dev - 09-Jun-2016, 12:53