Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is the Devialet bad at low volumes?
(28-Feb-2015, 00:37)mirekti Wrote: I found some people complain about the Devialet's performance at low volumes.
Is this acknowledged by Devialet?
Is the issue there on all models or it is related to a certain one?

1. Yes, some persons complain about everything, including 'performance' at low volume. That does not mean there is a problem, just that they are complaining, or perhaps expressing their expectation that music will sound the same at all volume levels.
2. I'm sure that Devialet will acknowledge that some persons are complainers.
3. What issue? Fingerprints on the case? The need for small connection ends on alternative power cords? I think the fingerprint issue is the same on all models.

Seriously, the link posted by Thumb5 and IanG-UK in relation to what we hear at various sound pressure levels is worth noting. Ian's point about the volume used during the recording is interesting also, and one which I had not thought of. I've been in recording studios a few times, while others were doing early mixes, and so I can see how that would be the 'reference' volume.

At this moment I'm listening to some Bach violin concertos, and the volume is -40.0. I may have a bit of a hangover, which would be a factor in this low volume listening. But in any event, the music is very pleasing at -40.0. In fact, I find the way the Devialet reveals the details of the music, and the excellent dynamics,  makes it better than my previous Naim equipment for low level listening.

And I've also found that since the Devialet has come home, the trend has been to listen at lower volumes generally than with the Naim. My take on things is that the Devialet is very good at low volumes.
Damon
Powernode, NAD M32, Cambridge CD transport, Analysis Plus, Nordost, iFi Nova, CSS Criton 1TDX, KEF C62
Vancouver, Canada

Messages In This Thread
RE: Is the Devialet bad at low volumes? - by Damon - 28-Feb-2015, 19:04