Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is the Devialet bad at low volumes?
(28-Feb-2015, 19:04)Damon Wrote: 1. Yes, some persons complain about everything, including 'performance' at low volume. That does not mean there is a problem, just that they are complaining, or perhaps expressing their expectation that music will sound the same at all volume levels.

Also, I've found that some people belittle the experiences of other people, just because they have not run into same things as they have. Thinking that your own experiences can somehow be considered universal truths and absolute way things are, may lead to problems in life.

There is a problem with Devialet and low volumes. It manifests itself when you have _sensitive_ speakers (I think mine are 8 Ohm and 90dB) and the Devialet is configured in a way that the volume dial for normal listening is way below -40.0. What happens sounds a bit like speakers that require a certain level of volume to really open up, except it's the amp this time.

Last time I was in the market for speakers, one of my criteria for the speakers work well at low volumes and they do. Now I used to own Audio Research DSi200 and Audio Research DAC8. The volume scale on the amp was 0-99 and at nights I used to play music with the volume set to 1-2. That's low and it sounded wonderful.

The first time I tried out Devialet I found myself listening to music at volumes that were higher that I really felt comfortable with. I realized that the reason was, the music didn't sound good with the volume I was used to. I almost gave up on Devialet, but luckily I didn't. When I configure the device output power so, that the normal listening volume is roughly -40.0, there is still some room to lower the volume a bit, but not too much. With these settings Devialet is way superior amp than the ARC and loses only slightly to the ARC DAC.

(28-Feb-2015, 19:04)Damon Wrote: At this moment I'm listening to some Bach violin concertos, and the volume is -40.0. I may have a bit of a hangover, which would be a factor in this low volume listening. But in any event, the music is very pleasing at -40.0. In fact, I find the way the Devialet reveals the details of the music, and the excellent dynamics,  makes it better than my previous Naim equipment for low level listening.

-40.0 you say, on the range of -97.5 to 30. Wow, that is really low. If it doesn't sound bad that low, it must not sound bad at -60.0 or even -70.0. So it must be sufficient proof that Devialet does not sound bad at low volumes. Fact! Anyone who disagrees with this flawless proof must be a whiner. No other explanation.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Is the Devialet bad at low volumes? - by jjo - 04-Mar-2015, 19:27