Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is the Devialet bad at low volumes?
(04-Mar-2015, 20:29)johnsap Wrote: Can you please provide more details on how you configured the device output power.
How did you use the configurator to achieve this?

In the configurator (Advanced mode?) when you click on the speaker terminals, you can set a bunch of stuff, including the output power.

(04-Mar-2015, 22:46)Damon Wrote: I didn't 'belittle' anyone's experience. I just responded, with humour, to the vague idea that 'some people complain about the Devialet...'

Ok, not my kind of humour then, I guess. So if I was to say something along the lines of "People who don't recognize the low volume problem are dumb jerks with hearing problems" that might be considered as humorous.

(04-Mar-2015, 22:46)Damon Wrote: You did the same thing in your post, but you also claim there is a problem with the Devialet at low volumes, yet you go on to suggest that it also varies with speaker sensitivity. That suggests the speakers are the 'problem'. That or the Fletcher Munson curve referred to in two other posts. 

What I'm suggesting is that the "low volume" we are speaking of means "low volume setting on the dial". The volume leven indeed depends on the speaker sensitivity and while for some the -40.0 may seem low, for people with sensitive speakers it might actually be rather loud. Louder than desired really.

This is why people with insensitive speakers seem to think there can't be a problem, because they can't hear it. And obviously in that case it is not a problem, for them. It just doesn't mean the problem doesn't exist. I also find it useless trying to deny the problem, when there is a viable solution for it. Rather than telling people that "Devialet is good, you're just complaining about nothing" it might be more constructive to tell them "Some people experience this problem with their setups and this is how to fix it". Me  for one would not have bought Devialet without finding the solution. I'm glad I solved it though.

(04-Mar-2015, 22:46)Damon Wrote: You did the same thing in your post, but you also claim there is a problem with the Devialet at low volumes, yet you go on to suggest that it also varies with speaker sensitivity. That suggests the speakers are the 'problem'. That or the Fletcher Munson curve referred to in two other posts.

If you read what I said in the previous message, you might find that the case was as follows...

Amp A + speakers + low volume = awesome sound
Amp B + the very same speakers + low volume = bad sound

How do you reckon that while everything else but the amp remains the same, something else than the amp is the problem? Also how do you explain that tweaking the amplifier parameters fixes the problem? Oh yeah, of course it's compensating for the shortcomings in speakers and hearing that only appear with this amp.

(05-Mar-2015, 00:51)Damon Wrote: Indeed. I was not truly concluding that the speaker is the problem, but didn't put it very well. And the 'my ears, my system' point was trying to cover the many variables including personal preference. I'm not really suggesting a speaker 'problem' but I was also questioning the Devialet 'problem'; hence the liberal use of quote marks.

I find this to be denialism at it's best. 

(05-Mar-2015, 00:51)Damon Wrote: I don't think my speakers are very efficient at 86db, but in my room, the -40.0 volume setting seems quite pleasant, not so much for active listening, but when I have Rdio on, or oboe concertos going while I'm doing something else in the same room. 

Yes, but on the range from -97,5 to 30 the setting of -40.0 is already kind of high as it is disregarding the  115 volume steps that come before it. The fact that your speakers are "unusable" within 0-115 range just masks the problem.

As a bonus link here is a really whiny review of Devialet: http://www.whathifi.com/devialet/110/review

They gave it 5 stars and called it exceptional. But then again they also said:

"Drop the volume right down and the story changes a bit. The impressive clarity remains for the most part, but the sound loses a surprising amount of dynamic sparkle and rhythmic cohesion. 

Most amplifiers suffer from losses in these areas when the volume level drops, but the effect here is far more obvious.

We’d even go as far as to say if you regularly listen to music at very low volumes this is probably not the amplifier for you."

But what do they know, because you don have this "problem". They are just complaining about everything and have unrealistic expectations and don't account the fact how hearing works. I'm glad you know better than everyone else.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Is the Devialet bad at low volumes? - by jjo - 05-Mar-2015, 09:04