Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who here has gone from d200 to 400?
Hello Mike,
Congratulation! on joining the Dual-mono club. It will take you less than 5 min to see for yourself the difference it makes.
The Dual-mono Digital LINK cable topic is a bit complex. Devialet likes to go RCA-->RCA and they provide such a cable (AQ Carbon) when you buy a Dual-mono. When I bought my D400 in 2016, they supplied me a Crystal RCA-->RCA cable.

Going RCA(Master)-to-AES(Companion) will provide you a much bigger soundstage, more precise imaging, much more open sound that it both ambient and spacious. Once you hear RCA-->AES, it is addictive and there's no going back to RCA-->RCA (at least this is what happened to me). 

If one wishes to go RCA-->AES with Audioquest cables, AQ digital cable with DBS becomes complex and a bottleneck. It took me 1-1/2 years working with Audioquest USA and thereafter Audioquest Europe in NL to get it to work properly. But now, AQ engineers have a fix to this hence it's no longer an issue.

I started off my RCA-->AES journey in 2016 with AQ Diamond and this comes with 72V DBS. By end of 2017, AQ engineers were able to sort out the issues and for making me wait for 18 months and 4 times to-&-fro DHL shipping, upgraded me to AQ WILD. The Diamond to WILD move was very noticeable and once I upgraded by D400 to 440-Pro-CI, I was able to upgrade my AQ WILD cable to AQ WEL Sig and once again, it was a very noticeable jump. Both the WILD & WEL Sig also has the 72V DBS hence AQ engineers know what to do when it comes to using the cable for Dual-mono Devialet.

If you stay below AQ Diamond, I guess DBS doesn't come into the picture but you still need to get the cable terminated by AQ (that I would). Rest is upon you.
Good luck!  Smile

- Arup
Roon Nucleus w/ Hypsos PSU & AQ Tornado + Roon RAAT  >  AQ Diamond ETH > etherREGEN using SFP + Hypsos PSU | CEC TL-5 CD Transport + AQ Z3 + 3 x Orea Indigo > AQ Diamond AES/EBU 
Devialet 440-Pro CI >  AQ Wel Sig  RCA-XLR | 6 x Orea Bronze, 2 x Synergistic Research Atmosphere PC | B&W 802 D3 {Bi-wired}  >  AQ WEL Signature (Biwire)
REL G1-Mk2 pair | PS Audio PP 12 + AQ NRG-1000 | Puritan GroundMaster + RouteMaster | SAM DISABLED - DPM OFF - Northern Virginia - US

Messages In This Thread
RE: Who here has gone from d200 to 400? - by audio_engr - 11-Jan-2024, 04:17