Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Transformer hum caused by Devialets?
(15-Jan-2024, 18:55)Greg Wrote:
(15-Jan-2024, 13:14)hardcore Wrote: I use Plixir balanced isolation transformers for the power conditioning of my Devialet 1000 Pro. The isolation transformers don't hum. I've not tried the isolation transformers with a 220 or 440 Pro.

However, I have an LG OLED TV, which *will* cause the isolation transfomer to hum if I connect the TV to the output of the isolation transformer. So my TV is connected via a regular power conditioner.

Transformer humming is usually caused by a DC offset it the AC supply.

You might want to try the ifi DC Blocker to see if it helps your case - although it doesn't fit directly into the IEC power port of my Devialet 1000 units.

https://ifi-audio.com/products/dc-blocker/
Good reply. I’ve had exactly the same in the past. A DC Blocker sorted it. A transformer will not pass on DC but it will hum. DC offset can be readily measured on the mains with a basic multimeter.

Thank you also for this tip. We also initially suspected that DC could be the cause. That's why, as I wrote above, we put a DC blocker between the transformer and the Devialet. This had no effect whatsoever. The transformer also has its own internal DC blocker. At least for the moment, I would therefore rule out DC as the cause.
But interesting that you had the same phenomenon, if I understand you correctly. Switching on the Devialets led to a transformer hum?

Messages In This Thread
RE: Transformer hum caused by Devialets? - by Digant - 15-Jan-2024, 23:09