Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Devialet 200 first impressions
My apologies as I am not brilliant at describing what I hear but I will try.

First the SAM - I dont think there is a massive difference with it on or off if I am honest , maybe a subtle change. The bass goes deeper is what I noticed. For some dance music I prefer to sat the SAM to 50%, but I really need to stop tweaking and just enjoy Big Grin

Dont forget my CLIC is connected to the line inputs and no digital connection, so it can only get better. Its also a brand new 200 so may even need some burn in, if you believe in all that stuff. I never did until I got my headphones and OMG I do now.

So here we go. First most notable difference is the bass is awesome. I mean I am no bass head and I have always felt a deeper bass means I cant hear some of the detail. Not with the 200 - the bass is simply outstanding - a massive surprise. My 23s have never given such a deep bass ever. I have always liked the bass with the MF PMC combo as it was punchy, but like I say the 200 just on a different level.

The detail is still there. I thought my MF-PMC gave great detail too, but it could sometimes get a bit bright with acoustic guitar and certain female voices. So the 200 has kept that but took away the brightness. It just sounds so musical.

The biggest surprise of all is that at low volumes its excellent, streets ahead of the MF. This is a surprise to me as I had heard this is a criticism some people level at the 200. Suppose it depends what you compare it to.

Few little niggles, like I am struggling to get my headphone amp set up and as its not my 200 yet I have to do the whole configuration from scratch every time as unable to save it yet.

What matters most is the music though - and that sounds great.

I have it for a week or so, after a few days I will put my MFM6i back in the system and see what I hear. That will determine whether it is worth the outlay.
Devialet 200 -- Roon Nucleus-- Sonus Faber Olympica 2 -- Tellurium Q Black Speaker Cables --
Chord Qutest -- Niimbus US5 Pro Headphone amp —HifiMan HEK, Abyss 1266TC
Newcastle upon Tyne, England
Many of your observations match mine when I was first auditioning rivals to the D240. It is not so much more bass, but the Devialet seams to go deeper whilst keeping detail and accuracy. Plus I am always amazed by how good the Devialet sounds when listening quietly. The same is true now I have the D800. Much better loud though!
(07-Mar-2015, 11:44)Confused Wrote: Many of your observations match mine when I was first auditioning rivals to the D240.  It is not so much more bass, but the Devialet seams to go deeper whilst keeping detail and accuracy.  Plus I am always amazed by how good the Devialet sounds when listening quietly.  The same is true now I have the D800.  Much better loud though!

My daughter who is 22 gave it some volume last night with her Dance music, her jaw dropped and said she thought she was in a club Big Grin
Devialet 200 -- Roon Nucleus-- Sonus Faber Olympica 2 -- Tellurium Q Black Speaker Cables --
Glad to hear you're enjoying the 200, Womaz.  I had similar impressions when I first heard mine, too.  And I still find it amazing that there's so much "grunt" in such a small box (just goes to show how easily we can be prejudiced by what we see!).  The combination of power and delicacy is quite addictive.
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
Hey womaz, not sure you realize but you keep replying with quotes and then put your reply in the quoted comment.  Makes it tough to discern what you are replying to and what you are saying.

Type below the quoted text line not in the box with the quote.
Roon->HQPlayer->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301s>Transparent Super->Wilson Audio Sabrinas w/ Shunyata Denali, Rega RP8, Rega Apheta 2

(07-Mar-2015, 13:20)Dr Tone Wrote: Hey womaz, not sure you realize but you keep replying with quotes and then put your reply in the quoted comment.  Makes it tough to discern what you are replying to and what you are saying.

Ah like this I hope.
(07-Mar-2015, 13:22)Womaz Wrote:
(07-Mar-2015, 13:20)Dr Tone Wrote: Hey womaz, not sure you realize but you keep replying with quotes and then put your reply in the quoted comment.  Makes it tough to discern what you are replying to and what you are saying.

Ah like this I hope.

Thats better Smile
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

Thumbs Up 
(07-Mar-2015, 13:22)Womaz Wrote:

Ah like this I hope.

Yes.
Roon->HQPlayer->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301s>Transparent Super->Wilson Audio Sabrinas w/ Shunyata Denali, Rega RP8, Rega Apheta 2

Hi Womaz,

Its nice to get your listening impressions. I know you had a long lead-up to this demo. I think it is wise, and lucky, to get a week-long trial in your own home. I think your impressions and comments echo what many others say when they try the Devialet.

I'm personally interested in your descriptions of the system sound, as I'm casually looking around for new speakers, and the PMC 20.23 is one that is available here. It is part of many Naim systems as well. I'm not a bass nut, but I do want a reasonable level of bass 'believability' and it seems that the 20.23 with SAM do the job. Being a bass player, perhaps I focus too much on the bass, but that is my bias, I suppose.

Interesting also that you find the Dev better at taming some brightness in the treble, compared to the Musical Fidelity. I seem a bit sensitive to overly bright highs and the Dev does seem more forward in the treble than my previous Naim.

In any event, thanks for the follow-up impressions of your listening.
Damon
Powernode, NAD M32, Cambridge CD transport, Analysis Plus, Nordost, iFi Nova, CSS Criton 1TDX, KEF C62
Vancouver, Canada
(07-Mar-2015, 17:50)Damon Wrote: Hi Womaz,

Its nice to get your listening impressions. I know you had a long lead-up to this demo. I think it is wise, and lucky, to get a week-long trial in your own home. I think your impressions and comments echo what many others say when they try the Devialet.

I'm personally interested in your descriptions of the system sound, as I'm casually looking around for new speakers, and the PMC 20.23 is one that is available here. It is part of many Naim systems as well. I'm not a bass nut, but I do want a reasonable level of bass 'believability' and it seems that the 20.23 with SAM do the job. Being a bass player, perhaps I focus too much on the bass, but that is my bias, I suppose.

Interesting also that you find the Dev better at taming some brightness in the treble, compared to the Musical Fidelity. I seem a bit sensitive to overly bright highs and the Dev does seem more forward in the treble than my previous Naim.

In any event, thanks for the follow-up impressions of your listening.

No problem at all. The 200 certainly turns the 23 into a different beast Smile