Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Was the D-Premier upgrade a waste of money?
(15-Mar-2015, 13:13)f1eng Wrote:
(15-Mar-2015, 09:54)Borgen Wrote:
(14-Mar-2015, 14:45)f1eng Wrote:
(14-Mar-2015, 09:20)Borgen Wrote: I feel that Devialet has yet to deliver on the promise that made me do the upgrade. The message was that I needed to do the upgrade to get the DSP to be able to use the coming upgrades. I am still waiting for those upgrades to prove it was worth the upgrade.

As for sound I was quite happy with the old D-Premier, I feel there was a slight improvement, but not anywhere near defending the cost of the upgrade. As for connectors, I've used the USB and Ethernet and I am happy with that upgrade, but I didn't need that as I had a very stable AIR and good USB/spdif connector.

The principle reason for the extra DSP was SAM. If you don't need SAM the DSP update will probably never be necessary unless a room correction algorithm is added some day, and you want to use it.
My D-Premiers were updated one at a time, so I was able to compare the newly updated 240, as I think it was then, with the remaining D-Premier before I sent it for update. If there was any sound quality difference at all it was negligible into my speakers. Maybe harder to drive speakers would have benefited from the higher capacity power supply.
I still think of it as an update not an upgrade

Maybe it was me wanting to believe, but I was led to believe that there would be more to come than just SAM. I understand that they have other things to prioritize from a business perspective (new line of products). As for me, I am still waiting for more from the expert line...

What precisely are you waiting for?
I know I am old but I just wanted a good sounding piece of kit with fewer boxes. I got that with a pair of D-Premiers. I have absolutely no expectations about SQ improvements with firmware updates and any functional ones I will evaluate as, when and if they appear.
To be honest I am gobsmacked that so many people seem to see firmware updates as so important. It is as if the amp didn't work properly as released - but it did (unlike the Phantoms and software releases since the style icon guy invested gazillions).
I hear no difference in SQ between them, but there is absolutely no reason why there would be, the audio part is unchanged.
I tend to feel the answer to Ian's question is "yes"

streaming support
QNAP TS219P II/ TIDAL-Hifi > Roon@mac-mini > AIR3-Cat6 > Devialet 250 > Audience AU24 SE > Gallo-3.5Ref (w/ SAM)

Messages In This Thread
RE: Was the D-Premier upgrade a waste of money? - by Borgen - 15-Mar-2015, 13:37