Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Next upgrade path?
Hi
These forum have been a godsend for me so I am seeking advice once again.

I have just got the 200 and its amazing, but you know what its like....it has started me thinking about my next upgrade.

My CLIC network player does not have a digital output so that would seem the next logical step. The CLIC sounds great but that is probably more down to the upgrade to the 200.However I will throw this into the ring. My head tells me speaker upgrade will be more significant. Over the last few years rightly or wrongly I have steered towards the thought that amp and speakers are the real game changers when it comes to improvements. I used to believe spend a similar amount on each component. Now with the 200 purchase and hopefully what is already an excellent DAC, I think maybe a cheaper source upgrade leaving more for a big speaker upgrade. For eg total spend percentage 10% source and the other 90% on the amp and speakers.

However anyone who has helped me or read my posts will know I am no expert. I have just moved away from the thought that the source was the most important.

So right now I may have around 2k or so for a source. The one I have been looking at is the Aurender N100 as my music already on a NAS drive. Or should I wait until I have around 5 or 6k and do the 200 more justice.If the 200 has a really good DAC and I would hope it is for a 6k purchase should I even be considering spending this much cash on a source. Will the Dialog do the job eventually.
My only must have with a streamer /network player is the radio as since getting the CLIC i have listened to more and more radio.
I am also considering Linn Akurate, or would this be overkill. ie too much cash on the source.

Should this go on speakers? I love my 23s and as my room is only 14ft x 23ft they may be ideal. I am interested in the 26s and Sonus Fabers, and a few others.

As you can see lots of ideas going on in my head, not looking for definitive answers, just maybe a poke in the right direction.

Any help or guidance again much appreciated.
Devialet 200 -- Roon Nucleus-- Sonus Faber Olympica 2 -- Tellurium Q Black Speaker Cables --
Chord Qutest -- Niimbus US5 Pro Headphone amp —HifiMan HEK, Abyss 1266TC
Newcastle upon Tyne, England
I upgrade about once every 15 years Wink
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

(16-Mar-2015, 19:14)f1eng Wrote: I upgrade about once every 15 years Wink

Mine is about every 10 year or so. I see the 200 as part of my upgrade........but not the final solution Smile
Devialet 200 -- Roon Nucleus-- Sonus Faber Olympica 2 -- Tellurium Q Black Speaker Cables --
(16-Mar-2015, 19:22)Womaz Wrote:

Mine is about every 10 year or so. I see the 200 as part of my upgrade........but not the final solution Smile
Well my last update started about 4 years ago when I decided i wanted to check out the higher sampling rate digital files people were banging on about...
I tried a Linn Klimax DS, Resolution Audio Cantata, Sonic Studio version of a Metric Halo lio-8 and a Weiss Dac2. My preference was for the Cantata but I was astounded how tiny the differences between them all were.
The Linn kit crashed too often to be considered a domestic hifi solution (by me) and I bought the Cantata.
Soon afterwards I borrowed a Devialet D-Premier and bought it, adding a second after the on line configurator was introduced allowing a dual mono configuration.
The Cantata ended up in my bedroom...
For streaming music I use an iMac. I have used Amarra, Pure Vinyl, Audirvana and iTunes, via a firewire to AES converter and via AIR wirelessly.
My preference is Air.
I was put off UPnP by the Klimax experience, and ripping in general since tagging classical music is poor on all programmes I have tried.
Whilst I was working and flying to motor races most weeks it was worth ripping so I could load them onto a portable I just used to put them into a sensibly named playlist to find and play them properly. Now I have retired I don't rip new classical CDs any more, just pop, which works fine.
I listen to LPs, CDs and the music library on the computer I already had built for travelling plus a few 24/48, 24/96 and 24/192 files I have bought on the internet.

I bought some horn speakers after two listening sessions, they worked brilliantly with the D-Premier.

I am a big fan your PMCs, and the big 3 way sounds superb, if very inefficient. I think PMC and Sonus Faber speakers have a different house sound. I think a home demo is mandatory at this price level. My dealer is brilliant for this, so I never ask for or expect a discount!
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

(16-Mar-2015, 20:29)f1eng Wrote:
(16-Mar-2015, 19:22)Womaz Wrote:

Well my last update started about 4 years ago when I decided i wanted to check out the higher sampling rate digital files people were banging on about...
I tried a Linn Klimax DS, Resolution Audio Cantata, Sonic Studio version of a Metric Halo lio-8 and a Weiss Dac2. My preference was for the Cantata but I was astounded how tiny the differences between them all were.
The Linn kit crashed too often to be considered a domestic hifi solution (by me) and I bought the Cantata.
Soon afterwards I borrowed a Devialet D-Premier and bought it, adding a second after the on line configurator was introduced allowing a dual mono configuration.
The Cantata ended up in my bedroom...
For streaming music I use an iMac. I have used Amarra, Pure Vinyl, Audirvana and iTunes, via a firewire to AES converter and via AIR wirelessly.
My preference is Air.
I was put off UPnP by the Klimax experience, and ripping in general since tagging classical music is poor on all programmes I have tried.
Whilst I was working and flying to motor races most weeks it was worth ripping so I could load them onto a portable I just used to put them into a sensibly named playlist to find and play them properly. Now I have retired I don't rip new classical CDs any more, just pop, which works fine.
I listen to LPs, CDs and the music library on the computer I already had built for travelling plus a few 24/48, 24/96 and 24/192 files I have bought on the internet.

I bought some horn speakers after two listening sessions, they worked brilliantly with the D-Premier.

I am a big fan your PMCs, and the big 3 way sounds superb, if very inefficient. I think PMC and Sonus Faber speakers have a different house sound. I think a home demo is mandatory at this price level. My dealer is brilliant for this, so I never ask for or expect a discount!

Thats an excellent reply thanks. A demo would definitely be done, but like I say this is probably some months away. For now I am enjoying the upgrade the 200 has brought, which is quite significant in itself.
It was more help with deciding which route to go. I am assuming that you tend to agree that the 200 and the speaker choice more critical than the source.
It appears that your streaming solution is not an expensive one and you have a fantastic amp and speakers.
I may look at a trial of JRiver on my lap top as they give  a free demo I think. I am just not sure it would work. My CDs are all ripped using DBPoweramp to my NAS drive, not my lap top. I am going to investigate this further as I would love to hear my 200 without going through the CLIC network player. To see if there is any notable difference in what I hear.
Thanks again for the reply
Anyone else like to add anything at all.
No reason why you shouldn't be able to get JRiver on laptop to work as source, reading from NAS. I am using JRiver-19 (and 18 and 17 before that) reading FLAC files from NAS and outputting towards my 250 (and D-premier before that), having used all of AIR, USB and USB/SPDIF bridge. It may be easier to start with USB to validate connectivity. It seems to me that several recommend AIR and that AIR over Ethernet is more stable than wireless.

I presume you are using a laptop with win7, win8 or win8.1 (all of which works fine for me). If you are using mac, then JRiver on mac is not something I have tested.
QNAP TS219P II/ TIDAL-Hifi > Roon@mac-mini > AIR3-Cat6 > Devialet 250 > Audience AU24 SE > Gallo-3.5Ref (w/ SAM)
(17-Mar-2015, 20:48)Borgen Wrote: No reason why you shouldn't be able to get JRiver on laptop to work as source, reading from NAS. I am using JRiver-19 (and 18 and 17 before that) reading FLAC files from NAS and outputting towards my 250 (and D-premier before that), having used all of AIR, USB and USB/SPDIF bridge. It may be easier to start with USB to validate connectivity. It seems to me that several recommend AIR and that AIR over Ethernet is more stable than wireless.

I presume you are using a laptop with win7, win8 or win8.1 (all of which works fine for me). If you are using mac, then JRiver on mac is not something I have tested.

In the process of trying to set this up. Taking guidance on another post. I think i have most of the threads on this website right now Smile Smile
(16-Mar-2015, 18:38)Womaz Wrote: Hi

I have just got the 200 and its amazing, but you know what its like....it has started me thinking about my next upgrade.

My CLIC network player does not have a digital output so that would seem the next logical step. The CLIC sounds great but that is probably more down to the upgrade to the 200.However I will throw this into the ring. My head tells me speaker upgrade will be more significant. Over the last few years rightly or wrongly I have steered towards the thought that amp and speakers are the real game changers when it comes to improvements. I used to believe spend a similar amount on each component. Now with the 200 purchase and hopefully what is already an excellent DAC, I think maybe a cheaper source upgrade leaving more for a big speaker upgrade. For eg total spend percentage 10% source and the other 90% on the amp and speakers.

However anyone who has helped me or read my posts will know I am no expert. I have just moved away from the thought that the source was the most important.

So right now I may have around 2k or so for a source. The one I have been looking at is the Aurender N100 as my music already on a NAS drive. Or should I wait until I have around 5 or 6k and do the 200 more justice.If the 200 has a really good DAC and I would hope it is for a 6k purchase should I even be considering spending this much cash on a source. Will the Dialog do the job eventually.
My only must have with a streamer /network player is the radio as since getting the CLIC i have listened to more and more radio.
I am also considering Linn Akurate, or would this be overkill. ie too much cash on the source.

Should this go on speakers? I love my 23s and as my room is only 14ft x 23ft they may be ideal. I am interested in the 26s and Sonus Fabers, and a few others.

As you can see lots of ideas going on in my head, not looking for definitive answers, just maybe a poke in the right direction.

The PMC Twenty 23 speakers are great speakers, a very good match for the size of your listening room and are SAM Ready.

If you're looking at upgrading, I would recommend a DAC-less streamer and take advantage of the excellent high-quality DAC in the Devialet 200!

That's what I would do if it were my hard-earned cash.
(18-Mar-2015, 11:44)samurai7595 Wrote:
(16-Mar-2015, 18:38)Womaz Wrote: Hi

The PMC Twenty 23 speakers are great speakers, a very good match for the size of your listening room and are SAM Ready.

If you're looking at upgrading, I would recommend a DAC-less streamer and take advantage of the excellent high-quality DAC in the Devialet 200!

That's what I would do if it were my hard-earned cash.

Yes this is certainly one of my thoughts too......although I do have many Smile

I fancy the 26s too, but I fear my room maybe too small for them. If i do go down the streamer route then this really will be much less of a spend.

I am even experimenting with JRiver and my lap top as the source right now and that sounds excellent too.