Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Next upgrade path?
(16-Mar-2015, 20:29)f1eng Wrote:
(16-Mar-2015, 19:22)Womaz Wrote:
(16-Mar-2015, 19:14)f1eng Wrote: I upgrade about once every 15 years Wink

Mine is about every 10 year or so. I see the 200 as part of my upgrade........but not the final solution Smile
Well my last update started about 4 years ago when I decided i wanted to check out the higher sampling rate digital files people were banging on about...
I tried a Linn Klimax DS, Resolution Audio Cantata, Sonic Studio version of a Metric Halo lio-8 and a Weiss Dac2. My preference was for the Cantata but I was astounded how tiny the differences between them all were.
The Linn kit crashed too often to be considered a domestic hifi solution (by me) and I bought the Cantata.
Soon afterwards I borrowed a Devialet D-Premier and bought it, adding a second after the on line configurator was introduced allowing a dual mono configuration.
The Cantata ended up in my bedroom...
For streaming music I use an iMac. I have used Amarra, Pure Vinyl, Audirvana and iTunes, via a firewire to AES converter and via AIR wirelessly.
My preference is Air.
I was put off UPnP by the Klimax experience, and ripping in general since tagging classical music is poor on all programmes I have tried.
Whilst I was working and flying to motor races most weeks it was worth ripping so I could load them onto a portable I just used to put them into a sensibly named playlist to find and play them properly. Now I have retired I don't rip new classical CDs any more, just pop, which works fine.
I listen to LPs, CDs and the music library on the computer I already had built for travelling plus a few 24/48, 24/96 and 24/192 files I have bought on the internet.

I bought some horn speakers after two listening sessions, they worked brilliantly with the D-Premier.

I am a big fan your PMCs, and the big 3 way sounds superb, if very inefficient. I think PMC and Sonus Faber speakers have a different house sound. I think a home demo is mandatory at this price level. My dealer is brilliant for this, so I never ask for or expect a discount!

Thats an excellent reply thanks. A demo would definitely be done, but like I say this is probably some months away. For now I am enjoying the upgrade the 200 has brought, which is quite significant in itself.
It was more help with deciding which route to go. I am assuming that you tend to agree that the 200 and the speaker choice more critical than the source.
It appears that your streaming solution is not an expensive one and you have a fantastic amp and speakers.
I may look at a trial of JRiver on my lap top as they give  a free demo I think. I am just not sure it would work. My CDs are all ripped using DBPoweramp to my NAS drive, not my lap top. I am going to investigate this further as I would love to hear my 200 without going through the CLIC network player. To see if there is any notable difference in what I hear.
Thanks again for the reply
Devialet 200 -- Roon Nucleus-- Sonus Faber Olympica 2 -- Tellurium Q Black Speaker Cables --
Chord Qutest -- Niimbus US5 Pro Headphone amp —HifiMan HEK, Abyss 1266TC
Newcastle upon Tyne, England

Messages In This Thread
Next upgrade path? - by Womaz - 16-Mar-2015, 18:38
RE: Next upgrade path? - by f1eng - 16-Mar-2015, 19:14
RE: Next upgrade path? - by Womaz - 16-Mar-2015, 19:22
RE: Next upgrade path? - by f1eng - 16-Mar-2015, 20:29
RE: Next upgrade path? - by Womaz - 16-Mar-2015, 21:10
RE: Next upgrade path? - by Womaz - 17-Mar-2015, 20:05
RE: Next upgrade path? - by Borgen - 17-Mar-2015, 20:48
RE: Next upgrade path? - by Womaz - 17-Mar-2015, 20:55
RE: Next upgrade path? - by samurai7595 - 18-Mar-2015, 11:44