Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Initial Questions from New D200 Owner...
I have now had my D200 for around 3 weeks (following a short spell with a demo D120) and whilst the initial sound was a little “metallic” or “scratchy”, it is now becoming much “sweeter”, more “liquid”. I am also now noticing the ability of the system to clearly resolve and separate multiple strands of music rather than generate a rather untidy sonic mess which many lesser systems do. I was initially concerned that the D200 was not performing as well as the D120 but this is no longer the case and the extra power reserves and additional connectivity options all made it a worthwhile upgrade for me. I should also add that I have recently upgraded the cabling but given the many variables involved could not say whether the improvement is due to some burn-in effect, due to the better cabling or purely psychological. But I am not sure it matters: all in all I am thoroughly enjoying it and some of my favourite tracks sound simply wonderful!

I nevertheless have a couple of questions if I may:

AIR: I am using the system predominantly via Ethernet AIR (has been pretty stable so far in contrast to what I have read here), fed from iTunes running on a fairly new MacMini. I have been experimenting with Tidal and, whilst I have been very pleasantly surprised with the quality, the control on a headless MacMini is quite cumbersome. However, I have just discovered that I can stream wirelessly to the Devialet (itself remaining connected by Ethernet to a local Apple Extreme) from my laptop (with AIR installed), essentially giving me a much more convenient set up (is this the WiFi configuration talked bout here or does that refer to a direct WiFi link to the Devialet?). Unfortunately, this set up appears unstable as I typically start to hear pops and clicks after a while and the music becomes unenjoyable. If I stream Spotify (presumably lower data rate) it remains perfectly stable. Is there a way to solve this or is this the same problem that others are experiencing and writing about here? BTW, I also have a Linn Majik DS-I which remains perfectly stable when I stream Tidal to it from my laptop via Linn’s Songcast system.

Subwoofer: I have a Piega Sub1 MkII subwoofer and would like to optimise the integration. Right now, it is connected via the pre-outs (stereo) to the line-level inputs on the Piega. I have also set a 50Hz filter on the D200. It is generally working ok but occasionally sounds a bit boomy and I can’t help thinking some improvement might be possible. I have looked at the configuration options on the Devialet but don’t understand much, e.g. order of filters (or similar), filters for the main speakers (mine are Piega C3 LTD), etc. Any suggestions?

Thanks, Clark

Messages In This Thread
RE: Initial Questions from New D200 Owner... - by Clark - 06-Apr-2015, 18:07