Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AIR and Win10
With Win10 and AIR2.1.4beta, I'm having a very stable AIR performance, even on high bitrates files and DSD. Maybe we should identify our hardware setup and connection to narrow down on how to ensure smooth AIR performance.

FYI, my NUC (i5-5250 CPU, 8GB RAM) is just next to my D200 and both connected wired to an old TP-Link router (can support only 802.11n). I can stream AIR-ETH and AIR-wifi from my NUC to D200. My router is wired to the DHCP server. No other devices are connected to it, wirelessly or wired.

And, my Win10 Tablet (Toshiba WT8) will have white noises even on 16/44.1 files. Even when I connect my Tablet wirelessly to the same TP-Link router, white noise will occur.
Before: Le200, KEF LS50, AQ Type4, NUC 5i5RYH/8GB/128GB M.2SSD, Roon, Win8.1/AIR2.1.3/RoonBridge, MM/AIR3/RoonBridge, QNAP TS-212P 5TB NAS, AQ NRG-X3

Now: KEF LS50W, NUC5i5RYH/8GB/128GB M.2SSD, Roon, QNAP TS-212P 5TB NAS,iFi iSilencer3.0+DC iPurifier+iPurifier2, Sonos ZP80+SPDIF iPurifier

Lucky you, hk6230 Smile I tried AIR 2.1.4 beta today but still the white noise problem occurs very easily.

I'm running Roon 1.0, Air Ethernet and Fidelizer Pro 6.9 on my Samsung ultrabook laptop (i5-3317U, 4GB RAM).
Bluesound Node > Matrix Audio X-SPDIF 2 > Genelec 8351B & 7360A
Devialet 1000 Pro
Bluesound Node 2i > Genelec 8330
Tampere, Finland
(25-Aug-2015, 16:02)petrik Wrote: Lucky you, hk6230 Smile I tried AIR 2.1.4 beta today but still the white noise problem occurs very easily.

I'm running Roon 1.0, Air Ethernet and Fidelizer Pro 6.9 on my Samsung ultrabook laptop (i5-3317U, 4GB RAM).

Are you using Win10?
Before: Le200, KEF LS50, AQ Type4, NUC 5i5RYH/8GB/128GB M.2SSD, Roon, Win8.1/AIR2.1.3/RoonBridge, MM/AIR3/RoonBridge, QNAP TS-212P 5TB NAS, AQ NRG-X3

Now: KEF LS50W, NUC5i5RYH/8GB/128GB M.2SSD, Roon, QNAP TS-212P 5TB NAS,iFi iSilencer3.0+DC iPurifier+iPurifier2, Sonos ZP80+SPDIF iPurifier

(26-Aug-2015, 03:34)hk6230 Wrote:
(25-Aug-2015, 16:02)petrik Wrote: Lucky you, hk6230 Smile I tried AIR 2.1.4 beta today but still the white noise problem occurs very easily.

Are you using Win10?

Yes I am. I didn't have any problems previously with Windows 7 & Devialet AIR, so I thought that it would be safe to upgrade to Windows 10.

I also noticed a stuttering issue with AIR 2.1.4 beta yesterday, so I had to go back to AIR 2.1.3 which seem to work fine with 16 bit / 44.1 khz files or when streaming from Tidal. AIR 2.1.3 seems to have "only" two problems in my environment. Firstly there is this white noise problem with 24 bit / 192 khz files. Secondly, I noticed that I cannot control Devialet's volume from the Roon application (volume control works fine with AIR 2.1.4 beta).
Bluesound Node > Matrix Audio X-SPDIF 2 > Genelec 8351B & 7360A
Devialet 1000 Pro
Bluesound Node 2i > Genelec 8330
Tampere, Finland
I had some problem with Air and Win 10, 2 nights ago. 3-4 songs in, Air would crash and need restarting, it happened 2 times running so I re-installed Air (uninstall both Air and the driver first) and it seems ok again, only managed to try it for about 40 minutes last night but no problems.

I'm using 2.14 beta 4. I never had any problems previously, if it happens again I might go back to version 2.13 and tray that.
Spoke too soon, now having issues with Air just stopping, tried 2.13 but no difference.

I'll investigate further over the weekend, it's really frustrating as I didn't change anything!

Win 10 and Air had been fine for around 2 weeks and then suddenly I'm having problems, much worse than I ever had previously!
Did you change anything else? Added a device, using iPhone connected to the same AP, etc.?

从我的 iPhone 发送,使用 Tapatalk

I have noticed something similar to that mentioned by Chris Marshall above. When I first had Windows 10, AIR ran perfectly, no issues whatsoever. Horary !

About a week later, on a Friday evening, with guests listening to what they consider a stupidly expensive system, AIR was embarrassingly bad.

I'm sure lots of little things have been updating themselves on my PC now it has Windows 10, and somewhere, something is upsetting AIR.

More recently, AIR has been ok-ish, with the odd bit of stuttering now and again. All very random. I have a couple of things in mind to try as a fix (one that with a very short listen appears to work for me) Although with the random nature of AIR issues, I'll only report further following success after some extensive listening.
FYI, I have nothing playing (running) on my NUC beside RoonServer with AIR-ETH on. I'm not using any anti-virus software on my NUC, too. I control my Roon via my Win Tablet. Come to think of it, I should turn off auto-update on Win10, too.

Rarely, but it happens, AIR may stutters (hesitating). All I need to do is just cycle through my source (pressing the source button on Devialet remote) back to AIR-ETH and issue solved. As I said, this is very rare.

Just like to share my experience and hopefully, you guys can find a solution to your AIR problem.

(28-Aug-2015, 01:17)hk6230 Wrote: FYI, I have nothing playing (running) on my NUC beside RoonServer with AIR-ETH on. I'm not using any anti-virus software on my NUC, too. I control my Roon via my Win Tablet. Come to think of it, I should turn off auto-update on Win10, too.

Rarely, but it happens, AIR may stutters (hesitating). All I need to do is just cycle through my source (pressing the source button on Devialet remote) back to AIR-ETH and issue solved. As I said, this is very rare.

Just like to share my experience and hopefully, you guys can find a solution to your AIR problem.

Excellent post HK!  It is always good to read about peoples solutions, rather than always about the problems.  The cycling through the sources is an interesting tip, I always tend to start / restart AIR, but I guess cycling through the sources does exactly the same thing, although I guess you need to set AIR to automatically stream.

I did have a slightly crazy idea the other day, which was to get a NUC with Windows 10, together with a wireless touch screen monitor.  This would give me a dedicated music playing machine, with a full size touch screen display that could be positioned anywhere.  Yes, I know I could use it "headless" with an iPad or similar, but I like the idea of having the full size display with touch screen.  Does anyone know if this is possible?  I don't see why not, but there might be a subtlety that I' missed?