Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Broken Optical Input Socket on Dialog
What with all this experimentation in trying to beat the A/V latency issues of the Dialog+Phantoms, I've been doing a lot of swapping about with the Dialog Optical Input. Unfortunately, the standard hinged 'flap' over the opening broke off!

Having removed that flap, some sort of spring pin was then preventing insertion of the TOSLINK plug, so I had to push that out of the way. The signal cable will now get close enough for sound to come through, but isn't "captive" so it can easily fall out.

I feel aggrieved about the design of the Dialog Optical Input, because not only can TOSLINK socket alignment be awkward anyway, this one is also recessed... so it's even harder to see if the plug is still aligned before it's fully in.

Just wondered if any other tinkerer finds it particularly awkward too? 
JRiver v25 (Windows) >> 220Pro/CI >> PMC Twenty5.23 + twin KEF KC62 subs. One White Phantom.
I find ALL optical inputs a pain, why not coax or USB in
<Grumpy old man mode>The Dialog optical input connection difficulty issue is nothing when compared with the Phantom optical and ethernet inputs.  Further, if either connector is too thick/fat the power cable becomes tricky especially trying to get the external cover to neatly fit.</Grumpy old man mode>
Yes and by default you power down to change cables!
On the subject of optical cables, which ones have people found to be effective for the space/socket peculiarities of the Phantom/Diologue? I've just tried to set my phantom up with a Cambridge Audio optical cable I had spare that has quite fat connectors on and it barely fit with the power cable (No Dialogue here)

I was just going to buy a cheap toslink cable with small connectors on but wondered if others here had done any experimentation and had any recommendations?
the toslink connector on the Dialog is more or less a disaster. The toslink entrance is not in line with the housing (recessed). I have tried 6 different toslink-cables and none of them fitted. The Devialet servicedesk has sent me a link of the cables they used.
Quess what...didn't fit. All cables are badly coupled in the toslink entrance and fall out easily.

I received an Optoma Nuforce BTR-100 bluetooth adapter from Devialet. My Phantoms are the ones without build-in bluetooth. In the package is a bluetooth cable with identification FM65115. This one has rather small plugs and they really clip into the toslink entrance of the Dialog (or Phantom).

This is a link of that cable:

http://nl.farnell.com/cliff-electronic-c...dp/2447915

Besides this cable I use a Audioquest Vodka toslink cable. I have secured it by putting parts of moldable earplug  stuff around the plug. That way it stays in place.

I asked Devialet service desk to report this problem to their design/production department; they promised to do so.
I only think it's fair to mention at this stage that Devialet were kind enough to replace my Dialog, with a word of warning that such a breakage wouldn't normally be covered under warranty. This is especially nice, because my original Dialog was a free courtesy gift in the first place!
It is also nice that others have backed me up on the design flaw.
JRiver v25 (Windows) >> 220Pro/CI >> PMC Twenty5.23 + twin KEF KC62 subs. One White Phantom.
(03-Oct-2015, 20:58)jvi Wrote: the toslink connector on the Dialog is more or less a disaster. The toslink entrance is not in line with the housing (recessed). I have tried 6 different toslink-cables and none of them fitted. The Devialet servicedesk has sent me a link of the cables they used.
Quess what...didn't fit. All cables are badly coupled in the toslink entrance and fall out easily.

I received an Optoma Nuforce BTR-100 bluetooth adapter from Devialet. My Phantoms are the ones without build-in bluetooth. In the package is a bluetooth cable with identification FM65115. This one has rather small plugs and they really clip into the toslink entrance of the Dialog (or Phantom).

This is a link of that cable:

http://nl.farnell.com/cliff-electronic-c...dp/2447915

Besides this cable I use a Audioquest Vodka toslink cable. I have secured it by putting parts of moldable earplug  stuff around the plug. That way it stays in place.

I asked Devialet service desk to report this problem to their design/production department; they promised to do so.

Thanks JVI, I've ordered one of those toslink cables from Farnell.  Luckily the one I have will fit... just... so the Phantom is up and running, but it's a bit too cramped in there for comfort so a smaller cable will give me peace of mind that nothings getting damaged.  Would have been nice if the dealer would have let me know they are fussy with optical cables as I'd have bought one in the shop along with the Phantom.
Maybe somebody can comment on how an optical cable is connected to a phantom via branch and if there is enough space for optical cables with big connectors?
I broke the shutter on my dialog and it was replaced without fuss. I am now using the optical input on one of the phantoms with no problem fitting the cable. I'm using Supra VAC optical

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk