Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Cheap temporary streamer
(07-Apr-2015, 20:20)thumb5 Wrote: Yes, taking the computer out of the playback system could be a good plan for several reasons.  Apart from avoiding problems with AIR, you're also not going to be at the mercy of Windows updates, etc. upsetting a working system.  But also, I find it much easier to relax and enjoy the music if I don't have to be using a computer to play it.

Yes I am starting to think this now. I have a few network players in mind but out of my budget just now as the 200 stretched my finances a little. The sonos is an option but they could even sort AIR soon. All the uncertainty clouds my decision process. I think I should try and be patient (its not my strong point) and wait till I have the funds for the streamer I really want.
Devialet 200 -- Roon Nucleus-- Sonus Faber Olympica 2 -- Tellurium Q Black Speaker Cables --
Chord Qutest -- Niimbus US5 Pro Headphone amp —HifiMan HEK, Abyss 1266TC
Newcastle upon Tyne, England
(07-Apr-2015, 20:24)bobertk Wrote:
(07-Apr-2015, 20:10)Womaz Wrote: to be clear - use the router to route. it is the hub.  NAS as hub cannot be optimal.  

?? sorry again i dont understand this point.

you said you have the router to NAS and the NAS to D200

1) remove the ethernet direct link from NAS to 200 (keep router to NAS)

2) insert ethernet direct link router to 200

the routers job is to talk to and coordinate everyone - it directs traffic.  running NAS into 200 means 200 must use wireless to communicate w AIR

What did you spend the 650 quid on?

New lap top, new audioquest ethernet cables, and JRiver software. I was originally looking at going for a 120 but really stretched the finances to get the 200.......then additional expenditure I did not envisage. That why I am reluctant to spend any more/
Devialet 200 -- Roon Nucleus-- Sonus Faber Olympica 2 -- Tellurium Q Black Speaker Cables --
(07-Apr-2015, 20:10)Womaz Wrote: to be clear - use the router to route. it is the hub.  NAS as hub cannot be optimal.  

the routers job is to talk to and coordinate everyone - it directs traffic.  running NAS into 200 means 200 must use wireless to communicate w AIR

This is exactly as I have it set up now.......told you I was a novice Smile
(07-Apr-2015, 20:30)Womaz Wrote:

This is exactly as I have it set up now.......told you I was a novice Smile
we are all novices

ok .  to not spend more -  is there a 5ghz channel broadcasting from router.  are the laptop and ipad set to that channel.  is wifi turned off at the 200.     

oh, try moving re-orienting router and or it's antennas

if it's practical to run cheap ethernet cable to laptop you can try that and see if that helps

AIR does sound better, IMO.  It's worth some effort and I do think it's use-case scenarios as much as bugs.  or, use-case scenarios are part of the bugs. 

D200, KEF LS50 / Sumiko S9 Sub Bass,  Audience AU24SE speaker,  Wireworld Silver Electra PC,  Wireworld Platinum Starlight, Straightwire Link USB,  Macbook Pro,  System76 (linux) SSD Laptop,  TP-LINK Archer C7 AC1750.  

living in Salt Lake City, USA
Well i got a whole 14 minutes tonight before the white noise kicked in!

I always try and remain positive but I cant help feeling a little let down by Devialet. This is my first really expensive piece of hi-fi kit and part of the enjoyment of a new product has been taken away I am afraid.
(07-Apr-2015, 21:07)Womaz Wrote: Well i got a whole 14 minutes tonight before the white noise kicked in!

I always try and remain positive but I cant help feeling a little let down by Devialet. This is my first really expensive piece of hi-fi kit and part of the enjoyment of a new product has been taken away I am afraid.

Forget AIR for a bit, hard wire it and just listen to music.

It is a complex eco-system.  Lot's to sort out, and it varies by OS.  There is something w your setup.  Have you tried iTunes w/o JRiver?  I don't know much about jriver, but if you are using it to output bit perfect, it is not needed. AIR extracts bit perfect from itunes itself.

I do hear you - I do.  For big money you want it to work.  But remember folks bought and raved about the Premier before it had wireless capability. 

D200, KEF LS50 / Sumiko S9 Sub Bass,  Audience AU24SE speaker,  Wireworld Silver Electra PC,  Wireworld Platinum Starlight, Straightwire Link USB,  Macbook Pro,  System76 (linux) SSD Laptop,  TP-LINK Archer C7 AC1750.  

I agreed with bobertk on this. Just listen to music. If AIR is not working for you now, use other connection method: USB or streamer.
Before: Le200, KEF LS50, AQ Type4, NUC 5i5RYH/8GB/128GB M.2SSD, Roon, Win8.1/AIR2.1.3/RoonBridge, MM/AIR3/RoonBridge, QNAP TS-212P 5TB NAS, AQ NRG-X3

Now: KEF LS50W, NUC5i5RYH/8GB/128GB M.2SSD, Roon, QNAP TS-212P 5TB NAS,iFi iSilencer3.0+DC iPurifier+iPurifier2, Sonos ZP80+SPDIF iPurifier

(07-Apr-2015, 16:54)Womaz Wrote: Hi
After owning my 200 for less than 3 weeks I am now in need of a cheap Streamer solution, due to the problems with AIR making it increasingly difficult to enjoy my new purchase.

I was initially hoping to use AIR so got rid of my network player, and I am now using a CD Transport. Unfortunately I had no idea how much i would miss having my whole collection at my fingertips, so I think I am going to have to buy a cheap streamer as a temporary measure.
I am considering something like the Aurender N100 as a future purchase but as I have just overstretched my budget to get the 200, this will have to wait a while.

All of my music is on my QNAP NAS drive and just looking for ideas on a possible solution.

I have complained to Devaliet about this but I do not want to go into the details of the complaint, but I feel as if they are not taking my complaint seriously at all.

It is a real shame as I love the sound of the 200, but today I even considered asking for a refund and starting again with a different product. This is not really what I want to do though as the sound from my 200 is simply the best i have ever heard in my set up.

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Cheap streamer, nothing beats Sonos Connect. Plenty of cloud music services, works with QNAP, fast indexing, coax or optical out or RCA out to D200, app on smartphones or pad works flawlessly.

Only cons: no support above 16/44.1 bitrate.
Before: Le200, KEF LS50, AQ Type4, NUC 5i5RYH/8GB/128GB M.2SSD, Roon, Win8.1/AIR2.1.3/RoonBridge, MM/AIR3/RoonBridge, QNAP TS-212P 5TB NAS, AQ NRG-X3

Now: KEF LS50W, NUC5i5RYH/8GB/128GB M.2SSD, Roon, QNAP TS-212P 5TB NAS,iFi iSilencer3.0+DC iPurifier+iPurifier2, Sonos ZP80+SPDIF iPurifier

(08-Apr-2015, 01:20)hk6230 Wrote:
(07-Apr-2015, 16:54)Womaz Wrote: Hi
After owning my 200 for less than 3 weeks I am now in need of a cheap Streamer solution, due to the problems with AIR making it increasingly difficult to enjoy my new purchase.

I was initially hoping to use AIR so got rid of my network player, and I am now using a CD Transport. Unfortunately I had no idea how much i would miss having my whole collection at my fingertips, so I think I am going to have to buy a cheap streamer as a temporary measure.
I am considering something like the Aurender N100 as a future purchase but as I have just overstretched my budget to get the 200, this will have to wait a while.

All of my music is on my QNAP NAS drive and just looking for ideas on a possible solution.

I have complained to Devaliet about this but I do not want to go into the details of the complaint, but I feel as if they are not taking my complaint seriously at all.

It is a real shame as I love the sound of the 200, but today I even considered asking for a refund and starting again with a different product. This is not really what I want to do though as the sound from my 200 is simply the best i have ever heard in my set up.

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Cheap streamer, nothing beats Sonos Connect. Plenty of cloud music services, works with QNAP, fast indexing, coax or optical out or RCA out to D200, app on smartphones or pad works flawlessly.

Only cons: no support above 16/44.1 bitrate.

One more option:  Bluesound Vault.  Replaces streamer, NAS and Transport.

But you've got all that gear.  The Absolute Sound lists some dirt cheap USB cable as killer.  Like $15 US.  Stream from what you've got and work on the AIR on the side.

my 2 cents, er pence  

Yes I did just that,I stuck my CD player on and listened to some music. I do love the sound of the 200, its awesome..........it must be otherwise I would have lost patience by now.
As for itunes, most of my files are FLAC with some high res....I was under the impression Itunes was not compatible with these files.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions on here.