Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Devialet 120 problems
I have the 120 for a little more than one year now, and I was quite happy with it until someday a disturbing noise occurred, something like somebody mixing and snapping heavily a pack of playing cards! It can be easily resolved by rebooting the Devialet, but sometimes I have to reboot 5 times a day!!! The people of the hotline were hopeless, even I am better than them, and I am really inefficient. I was told that they are working hard on this problem, but as it has been for months and months, I have serious doubts on their ability to solve it. At this price it is scary! Do you have the same problem?
iMac 27", Airport extreme to Airport express, Devialet 120, VanDamme Blue 4mm cable, Martin Logan Sl II
Hello!  Sorry to hear you're having problems.

Are you using a Mac or Windows PC to stream to your 120?  If so, maybe you've heard what's described in these two threads.  In both cases Devialet say they are working to fix the problem but so far there has been no definitive cure.
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
Sorry I forgot to mention that I am using an iMac to stream the music to the Devialet.
This problem has been around in its current form since the latest releases of Firmware and Air. About 8 months I guess. Indeed it has been around in some shape or form ever since AIR was launched.

I've used an iMac and a MacBook Pro, three different 250s, three different routers (Time Capsule, BT Home Hub, Draytek), both Wifi and Ethernet AIR connections. I get noise with them all.

It is a Devialet problem, unsolved and never with any relevant update except "they are working on it". Some using AIR have no problems at all, but Devialet appear not to have narrowed down the causes.

Wholly unsatisfactory but there's nothing you can do about it, in reality.

If it is bad (as mine is) the best thing is to abandon AIR, if you can.
Innuos Statement 2TB SSD with Next-Gen PSU (with Roon lifetime)
MacBook Pro (with Air)
Draytek Vigor 2860v-Plus/Devialet Original d'Atelier CI Nos. 54A&B/Magico M3 pair
Shunyata cables (digital/interconnect/loudspeaker/power)/Shunyata power units (Triton/Typhon)

Dialog/Phantom Gold/Tree pair
Missing Link cables (power)
England
I did abandon Air and replaced it by one Airport extreme connected to the iMac and one Airport express connected to the Devialet, but the noise still happens from time to time. The best thing about it is that I don't have to reboot each time, simply switching from Ethernet to Air can do the job... Poor comforting!
(20-Mar-2015, 12:48)DE GREEF Wrote: I did abandon Air and replaced it by one Airport extreme connected to the iMac and one Airport express connected to the Devialet, but the noise still happens from time to time. The best thing about it is that I don't have to reboot each time, simply switching from Ethernet to Air can do the job... Poor comforting!

You still get white noise when not using AIR? If so this is a very significant finding.

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
(20-Mar-2015, 12:48)DE GREEF Wrote: I did abandon Air and replaced it by one Airport extreme connected to the iMac and one Airport express connected to the Devialet, but the noise still happens from time to time. The best thing about it is that I don't have to reboot each time, simply switching from Ethernet to Air can do the job... Poor comforting!

Are you using Ethernet for your connection? You may still be using AIR. You know there are two AIR variants - AIR wifi and AIR ethernet? In its original form AIR was exclusively wifi. Since the move from D-Premier to 120/200/250, AIR can be wifi or ethernet. Both have the same fault, generally less profound using ethernet, though often only in terms of time before emergence rather than severity.

If you have any hi-res files, is the noise more apparent and happens quicker with those files - that may the norm as far as I can tell?

I suggest you raise it with Devialet. They suggested to me it happens in only 2% - 5% of cases which simply does not tie in with the fact that I have had nine equipment variants (eighteen if you count ethernet cable changes) and I get noise with all of them which I have tried - probably not tried all eighteen but the evidence is clear.

I bet the incidence is much higher - there were some indications on this forum that it happened to up to one third of users.
Innuos Statement 2TB SSD with Next-Gen PSU (with Roon lifetime)
MacBook Pro (with Air)
Draytek Vigor 2860v-Plus/Devialet Original d'Atelier CI Nos. 54A&B/Magico M3 pair
Shunyata cables (digital/interconnect/loudspeaker/power)/Shunyata power units (Triton/Typhon)

Dialog/Phantom Gold/Tree pair
Missing Link cables (power)
England
If it only occurs for 2 - 5% of the cases and apparently this is one and has been so for month, why not return the unit since this is a fault and is within the warranty period? I would not accept this at least then white noise part. The air dropouts I'm afraid is another thing 
Devialet 220 Expert Pro CI | Sonus Faber Olympica II | Crystal cable speaker cables, interlink and power cables | ROON Rock on Intel NUC | Netherlands
AIR is having problem and Devialet acknowledged it, and they claimed they are working on solving it. Hopefully in the next version. Anyway, I switch to using USB for the time being or using my Bluesound Node to stream music to it.
Before: Le200, KEF LS50, AQ Type4, NUC 5i5RYH/8GB/128GB M.2SSD, Roon, Win8.1/AIR2.1.3/RoonBridge, MM/AIR3/RoonBridge, QNAP TS-212P 5TB NAS, AQ NRG-X3

Now: KEF LS50W, NUC5i5RYH/8GB/128GB M.2SSD, Roon, QNAP TS-212P 5TB NAS,iFi iSilencer3.0+DC iPurifier+iPurifier2, Sonos ZP80+SPDIF iPurifier

(20-Mar-2015, 10:19)DE GREEF Wrote: I have the 120 for a little more than one year now, and I was quite happy with it until someday a disturbing noise occurred, something like somebody mixing and snapping heavily a pack of playing cards! It can be easily resolved by rebooting the Devialet, but sometimes I have to reboot 5 times a day!!! The people of the hotline were hopeless, even I am better than them, and I am really inefficient. I was told that they are working hard on this problem, but as it has been for months and months, I have serious doubts on their ability to solve it. At this price it is scary! Do you have the same problem?

I play music on my D800 fed from my MacPro 2009 (Mavericks) and connected by a dedicated ethernet line using AIR. On very rare occasions (once every month or less) I hear an intermittant noise that you mention. This occurs reproduceably when there is another process on my Mac using too much front side bus 'bandwidth'. To ameliorate the situation increasing buffer time in AIR or stopping as many processes on the system as possible helps immediately. There is no need to restart anything, imo.