Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Downgrade to Phantom
HI 
Lately I've been considering selling my set (you can see the setup on my signature).
The considerations are:
Reducing costs
A limited number of hours of listening
I exhausted that involvement in improving the system and purchase endless.
I am having the thought is purchase a pair of phantom 3000w.
Quality is important to me however clear to me that pair of Phantom are not reach the level of my current set.
My questions is what should I expect from pair of Phantoms ?
Devialet 400, 
Ayon Raptor S
Townshend maximum super tweeters
MAC mini ,Amarra +IRC .
Digital -Telos Audio Gold Reference MKII ,
Speakers:Analysis plus Clear Oval
Power :Graditech - Voima 1

You can expect a lot of trouble with each new firmware upgrade.
(02-Sep-2015, 18:14)windler Wrote: HI 
Lately I've been considering selling my set (you can see the setup on my signature).
The considerations are:
Reducing costs
A limited number of hours of listening
I exhausted that involvement in improving the system and purchase endless.
I am having the thought is purchase a pair of phantom 3000w.
Quality is important to me however clear to me that pair of Phantom are not reach the level of my current set.
My questions is what should I expect from pair of Phantoms ?

I am pleased with the sound quality and with the last 2 firmware updates mine have been completely trouble free. They are most suited to streamed music, either from your own computer library or Deezer, Qobus and Tidal. Anything  with optical output can be connected. The Spark software is needed and I find it, like all other streaming software to be inadequate for classical music.

Everybody who has heard mine has liked them. I am not going to downsize, personally, but mine sound near enough to the €150,000 Epilogs to not be disappointing.
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

(02-Sep-2015, 18:43)fgueho Wrote: You can expect a lot of trouble with each new firmware upgrade.

Not to scare anybody, but sadly I must agree. I'm sure the phantoms would sound fantastic without the trouble many users are having with each new firmware update.
Myself, I face the hissing issue and crackling sound on the optical input of the Dialog (firmware 1.3.0.30). Sometimes, the sound disappears and I need to unplug the power from the Dialog.
(02-Sep-2015, 22:37)Bogardo Wrote:
(02-Sep-2015, 18:43)fgueho Wrote: You can expect a lot of trouble with each new firmware upgrade.

Not to scare anybody, but sadly I must agree. I'm sure the phantoms would sound fantastic without the trouble many users are having with each new firmware update.
Myself, I face the hissing issue and crackling sound on the optical input of the Dialog (firmware 1.3.0.30). Sometimes, the sound disappears and I need to unplug the power from the Dialog.

I dont have any of those problems with my 2 Phantom Silver and Dialog. It sounds perfectly. Only the Spark apps need to work perfectly but it is getting close now after the last firmware update.
(02-Sep-2015, 22:40)mixart Wrote:
(02-Sep-2015, 22:37)Bogardo Wrote:

I dont have any of those problems with my 2 Phantom Silver and Dialog. It sounds perfectly. Only the Spark apps need to work perfectly but it is getting close now after the last firmware update.
Mixart, are you sure you don't have the hissing? My dealer could not hear it on my setup! Why is that? I guess that I'm more sensitive hearing it.
I never heard a pair of phantoms without hissing noise. I would love to make the comparison with my system.
Mixed feelings after the latest FW update. Recommended to many friends to buy two Phantoms and Dialog to replace any system in the prize range of 5-10k€. Some did and are happy. But the dependency on goodwill and good ears of Devialet developers and management is indeed a risk that you have to consider and take as you are 100% dependent on their latest firmware with so far no choice of running the system in the condition you purchased it even if Devialet decides to screw up frequency range or volume control as they choose, no way to escape! Maybe the community of Phantom customers can stand up to get heard. So far Devialet has no means on actively listening to their customers other than a customer service e-mail and phone address. Polite answers from employees without much knowledge about sound quality and hifi. Choice, community development, open standards etc. is not (yet?) in the program of the closed resource company Devialet. Maybe their managers need 5-10 more years to by that time having read about the business case Microsoft that starts to realize how SW development needs to be anchored in a strong community rather than remaining closed and 'we are the best'.
I'm happy with my pair of silvers. Reducing a mile of cable after moving to the Phantoms. Your wife will thank you and you still get good sound. Nuff said. Sure there are quirks in the software but it's v1.3 right? Everyone is expecting Apple/Microsoft software quality from a French audio manufacturer with probably 3 to 4 software engineers will need to take it easy. Only recently did Hifi enthusiasts have the ability to get upgrades through software. There was a time when you bought speakers home, they would just sound like that until you decide to get rid of it.
Current: Phantom Silvers, Oppo 105D (Toslink), Raspberry Pi + Digi+, ROON
Pre-Phantom: PenAudio Rebel2, Nuforce MCH-2C5, Oppo 105D (Analog)
(03-Sep-2015, 04:44)trashken Wrote: Sure there are quirks in the software but it's v1.3 right? Everyone is expecting Apple/Microsoft software quality from a French audio manufacturer with probably 3 to 4 software engineers will need to take it easy.

I am happy too with just 1 phantom + dialog. Couldn't agree more with trashken, a few hick ups so far but give it some time and patience and this product can only get better!

- Tristan -
Actually Devialet staff is bigger than you think:
Globally staff is around 100 people, 40 of them being engineers
http://www.usine-digitale.fr/article/ave...on.N304722
Sorry it is in french Smile
PH

(03-Sep-2015, 04:44)trashken Wrote: I'm happy with my pair of silvers. Reducing a mile of cable after moving to the Phantoms. Your wife will thank you and you still get good sound. Nuff said. Sure there are quirks in the software but it's v1.3 right? Everyone is expecting Apple/Microsoft software quality from a French audio manufacturer with probably 3 to 4 software engineers will need to take it easy. Only recently did Hifi enthusiasts have the ability to get upgrades through software. There was a time when you bought speakers home, they would just sound like that until you decide to get rid of it.