Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Downgrade to Phantom
(07-Sep-2015, 15:41)Hifi_swlon Wrote: I guess I'm just somewhat amazed that it even comes close.  

I'm really surprised the press and forums haven't been packed to the rafters with stories of people selling off all their kit and replacing it all with a simple Phantom setup.    I know they're new, but given he above I would have figured pretty much EVERYONE who purchased a pair and got them working without issues would be talking about how amazing they are compared to any other hifi they've ever bought.

Most hifi forums are much more of interest to equipment fanatics IMHO. Whilst a lot of them quite like music too Smile I am amazed how much of their listening time is spent (wasted?) trying out small changes in equipment.
For them and the journalists who feed their passion even active loudspeakers are very limiting, never mind the Phantom where there is absolutely nothing to mess about with.

So, I didn't expect any traditional hifi journalists, or most forum residing hifi fans to take kindly to Phantoms, personally.

Also a lot of the equipment fans prefer the multiple added colourations of analogue sound systems, so something with anything digital in it is anathema to them.

IMHO.
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

If you think to downgrade your system for a more simple setup I would also consider:
1. Dynaudio 200, 400 or 600 DX.
2. Kii three. New loudspeaker with an excellent review in the German Magazine Audio.

All active loudspeakers with room adaptation possibilities. Which I think is very important.

The most important thing try them at home.
(07-Sep-2015, 21:00)bva Wrote: If you think to downgrade your system for a more simple setup I would also consider:

That would be the Dynaudio Focus XD range, comprising of the Focus 200, 400 & 600 XD.

Thanks for all participation
I am also amazed of the comparison of Phantoms to 150K system .
And frankly I believe F1eng.
Takes a lot of courage and integrity compare & admit .
Thanks F1eng .

For a long time I did not hear music, this evening I decided to give up the 400 and use only 200 .
One thing I can say ... I do not miss the 400 .
Devialet 400, 
Ayon Raptor S
Townshend maximum super tweeters
MAC mini ,Amarra +IRC .
Digital -Telos Audio Gold Reference MKII ,
Speakers:Analysis plus Clear Oval
Power :Graditech - Voima 1

Last friday I have heard a demonstation of the Kii three loudspeakers.
I must say it was mutch beter then the demonstration, a few weeks before, of two phantoms silver.
Also very low bas but mutch beter. The drum session sounded like live.

I think the main reason why the Kii three sound mutch beter because it can be adapted to the listening room.

It would be nice to combine the phantoms with a good room correction system like trinnov amethyst.
It is a shame that devialet has not made some kind of room correction system voor de expert systems and phantoms.
(02-Sep-2015, 20:03)f1eng Wrote:
(02-Sep-2015, 18:14)windler Wrote: HI 
Lately I've been considering selling my set (you can see the setup on my signature).
The considerations are:
Reducing costs
A limited number of hours of listening
I exhausted that involvement in improving the system and purchase endless.
I am having the thought is purchase a pair of phantom 3000w.
Quality is important to me however clear to me that pair of Phantom are not reach the level of my current set.
My questions is what should I expect from pair of Phantoms ?

I am pleased with the sound quality and with the last 2 firmware updates mine have been completely trouble free. They are most suited to streamed music, either from your own computer library or Deezer, Qobus and Tidal. Anything  with optical output can be connected. The Spark software is needed and I find it, like all other streaming software to be inadequate for classical music.

Everybody who has heard mine has liked them. I am not going to downsize, personally, but mine sound near enough to the €150,000 Epilogs to not be disappointing.
RE  "The Spark software is needed and I find it, like all other streaming software to be inadequate for classical music", I was thinking of Phantom mainly for classical music, stored on the computer and streaming from an internet source.   I would really like to hear more about why classical music is not coming across well through streaming software.   What ever the problem is, music from a file on the computer would not be affected, right?
Thanks.
(07-Sep-2015, 21:00)bva Wrote: If you think to downgrade your system for a more simple setup I would also consider:
2. Kii three. New loudspeaker with an excellent review in the German Magazine Audio.

All active loudspeakers with room adaptation possibilities. Which I think is very important.

The most important thing try them at home.
Kil three speakers, could not find them anywhere.   which german magazine?   This one?
http://www.professional-audio.de/
http://kiiaudio.com/phocadownload/AUDIO_...nglish.pdf

More than twice as expensive as phantoms though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rjalder,

F1eng will clarify, but I believe his complaint is that the tagging and organization of classical music files is not well handled by most 'library' software, whether iTunes or others. It has to do with how the music files are organized and ordered. With classical music, there are more ways, or alternatives, in how to classify and identify music. Is it by composer, or conductor, or orchestra? As well, many classical discs have several soloists, and that can come across as multiple artists in the metadata. I don't think he is referring to sound quality; rather, just the organizational file structure as sorted by various music playback applications.

I do not have an extensive classical collection, but even so, having a disc of say, Corelli, with some tracks with one soloist, and then other tracks with another, or more soloists, can create real annoyances when trying to organize music. Or if a disc has a collection of works by two composers, with many performers the tagging can be very frustrating.
Damon
Powernode, NAD M32, Cambridge CD transport, Analysis Plus, Nordost, iFi Nova, CSS Criton 1TDX, KEF C62
Vancouver, Canada
(29-Sep-2015, 05:19)Damon Wrote: rjalder,

F1eng will clarify, but I believe his complaint is that the tagging and organization of classical music files is not well handled by most 'library' software, whether iTunes or others. It has to do with how the music files are organized and ordered. With classical music, there are more ways, or alternatives, in how to classify and identify music. Is it by composer, or conductor, or orchestra? As well, many classical discs have several soloists, and that can come across as multiple artists in the metadata. I don't think he is referring to sound quality; rather, just the organizational file structure as sorted by various music playback applications.

I do not have an extensive classical collection, but even so, having a disc of say, Corelli, with some tracks with one soloist, and then other tracks with another, or more soloists, can create real annoyances when trying to organize music. Or if a disc has a collection of works by two composers, with many performers the tagging can be very frustrating.

Thank you for clarifying this for me, you got it exactly.

The original iTunes nest of folders does not have a way to organise classical music adequately, and nothing else I have seen does either.
There have been some potential common practice recommendations for storing metadata, but the most frequently used one puts the name of the work followed by the movement in the "song" field, which means not being able to read which movement you are about to play on most displays.
Also many, maybe most, works are not ripped into a single folder without intervention and simple playing often does not play the tracks in the correct order. What eventually made me give up was when choosing Mahler's Das Liede von der Erde my player played the first movement of one recording, then the first movement from a different recording, then the first movement of yet another version (I have 5). To re-tag everything so this wouldn't happen would take me so long I deleted these rips and only now play classical rips I did before, no new ones.

Whilst I was travelling I just ripped my CDs and put each in a playlist with sensible name "Mahler 5 Solti" for example, which allowed me to a) find it quickly in my library and b) make sure it played the correct tracks in the correct order.
Now I have retired and don't frequently listen to a portable I have gone back to playing CDs and the odd LP for classical.
Ripping systems seem to sort pop music fine.
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire